cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 Photos. Should I save for web?

albionshire
Contributor

I can't seem to decide if I should "save for web", I've been taking photos on my R10 which look stunning but when saving for web the detail just isn't the same. What's the best strategy for a clothing e-commerce site? Is there a happy medium?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I typically use Adobe Lightroom for exporting images to be shared, put onto the web, etc.  And in the export settings, I have it apply a medium level of sharpening when reducing the image dimensions.

I expect that you'll need to apply some sharpening as well when reducing the resolution of the images you're exporting in Photoshop.  e.g. if setting the Image Size, you can experiment with the various Resample options.  Try Automatic at first, but also look at "Bicubic Sharper (reduction)".

You can always add additional sharpening as well afte you've reduced your image resolution.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

albi9nshire,

Where are you seeing this, "Save for web"?

Are you taking pictures in RAW, or in jpeg.?

Steve Thomas 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you speaking about Adobe Photoshop's "Save for Web"?

--
Ricky

Hi Ricky, sorry I should have mentioned it's Adobe Photoshop, I'm taking RAW pictures, applying my colour chart profile and then exporting via save for web. I just wondered what strategies other people use for fashion e-commerce sites.

I typically use Adobe Lightroom for exporting images to be shared, put onto the web, etc.  And in the export settings, I have it apply a medium level of sharpening when reducing the image dimensions.

I expect that you'll need to apply some sharpening as well when reducing the resolution of the images you're exporting in Photoshop.  e.g. if setting the Image Size, you can experiment with the various Resample options.  Try Automatic at first, but also look at "Bicubic Sharper (reduction)".

You can always add additional sharpening as well afte you've reduced your image resolution.

--
Ricky

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The “Save For Web” option in Adobe Photoshop creates GIFs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are actually several image formats available with "Save for Web": GIF, JPEG, PNG (both 8-bit and 24-bit) and WBMP.

--
Ricky

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

albionshire,

If you are talking about Adobe, the have put out a help page that you might find useful.

It's called, "Optimizing Images" and address3s the various ways and formats that you can use to "Save For The Web" You can find it here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/optimizing-images.html

Steve Thomas

Announcements