cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Horizontal Lines show up in Long Expo

warwarstudios
Apprentice

So i went out to shoot long exposures with my 5D mk 4 and came across a pretty annoying issue with 80 percent of my pictures from my trip. These lines keep showing up on all my long expo pics. This picture is ISO at 200, for 41 seconds and shot in RAW. Is my shutter getting stuck? I have a Mk 3 and the Eos R as well, but its my Mk4 giving me the issues. Please help! 🙂New set.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

Peter
Authority
Authority

Download ART (AnotherRawtherapee) and activate Dynamic row noise. Better?

Thanks for the reply Pete, and although I can probably fix it as how you said, I want to try to get to the root of the problem so it can stop happening. I think its probably a shutter problem but was hoping to see who would know more about the line and why.New set-33.jpgThis Picture has 2 lines clearly visible, and one very faint line above them...Truly annoying issue to have -_- 

Would you say that it looks like these pictures?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4187907

Can you share some raw files?

@warwarstudios wrote:

Thanks for the reply Pete, and although I can probably fix it as how you said, I want to try to get to the root of the problem so it can stop happening. I think its probably a shutter problem but was hoping to see who would know more about the line and why.New set-33.jpgThis Picture has 2 lines clearly visible, and one very faint line above them...Truly annoying issue to have -_- 

This almost looks like someone’s droning flying back and forth across the frame.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The problem looks light flicker, to me.  Turn off the lighting, and try it again.

So turn off Flicker during long Expos? That hasnt been an issue before but I will try it tonight and see how it goes. I thought it was that maybe the shutter is slower or something? 

I said turn off some of the lighting, not change a camera setting.  I’m not sure what effect enabling flicker detection would have on a 40 second exposure.  Probably none.

Does this only happen during daylight, too?

"I thought it was that maybe the shutter is slower or something?"

Easy to see. Just inspect the hidden black fields to the left of your picture. The shutter will never be visible there.

Anyway, there are plenty of threads about your topic and that sensor generation here at this forum, if it is the same case https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Eos-R-Strange-vertical-banding-help/m...

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

The problem is not the shutter as the shutter is fully open during long exposures.  Have you ever taken pictures where there was a laser light show?  This looks like lidar/laser sensor damage.

Laser Light kills CMOS Sensor???!!! (youtube.com)

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)
Announcements