cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T8i / 850D for live streaming via hdmi out

florinp
Contributor

Hello,

Does anyone here know if Canon EOS Rebel T8i 850D would be suitable for live streaming via hdmi out?

Is there a risc of overheating and shutdown, if used for streaming (1080p, 50 fps) for several hours (at least four hours in a row) via the hdmi out port, at normal room temperature, with autofocus on?

I intend to buy a camera for live streaming and I was considering Canon M200, Rebel SL3 and this model, T8i 850D.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@florinp wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone here know if Canon EOS Rebel T8i 850D would be suitable for live streaming via hdmi out?

Is there a risc of overheating and shutdown, if used for streaming (1080p, 50 fps) for several hours (at least four hours in a row) via the hdmi out port, at normal room temperature, with autofocus on?

I intend to buy a camera for live streaming and I was considering Canon M200, Rebel SL3 and this model, T8i 850D.

I think you would need a professional camera for that type of requirement.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

bewing
Apprentice

SOooo disheartening to read a clearly erroneous post like the above. I have 3 t8i's and 1 t7i and I stream for several hours almost every week. So it definitely CAN be done, but not without a little effort and insight!! my configuration is 1080p via HDMI, no audio, through OBS to YouTube. I have to turn autofocus off for the t7i or I get an irritating little focus box. Two t8i's work great, but one just died because, I think, I had autofocus on and it overheated. The third one turns off after 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure that's a setting issue. I'll try to post back here when I figure out exactly what that is, but here's a hint: when I bought them, I called Canon support and threatened to return them if I couldn't get clean HDMI without a shutdown. They stepped me through configuration  in "P" (program?) mode is all I retain. I work in P mode; "M" mode works but the video breaks up (wavy motion.)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

bewing
Apprentice

SOooo disheartening to read a clearly erroneous post like the above. I have 3 t8i's and 1 t7i and I stream for several hours almost every week. So it definitely CAN be done, but not without a little effort and insight!! my configuration is 1080p via HDMI, no audio, through OBS to YouTube. I have to turn autofocus off for the t7i or I get an irritating little focus box. Two t8i's work great, but one just died because, I think, I had autofocus on and it overheated. The third one turns off after 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure that's a setting issue. I'll try to post back here when I figure out exactly what that is, but here's a hint: when I bought them, I called Canon support and threatened to return them if I couldn't get clean HDMI without a shutdown. They stepped me through configuration  in "P" (program?) mode is all I retain. I work in P mode; "M" mode works but the video breaks up (wavy motion.)

florinp
Contributor

Thank you, bewing, for sharing your experience with t8i for live streaming. Your reply was very useful!

Announcements