Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40D with ef-s STM lenses - possible???

Afzal_BG_BR_UK
Enthusiast

Hi there….

Just joined this Forum as a newbie!

Currently using x2 eos 40D bodies with both EF & EF-S lenses. (ef100mm f/2.8 macro, ef50mm f/1.8 & ef-s10-22mm).

my question:- will the newer ef-s STM lenses work on this 40D camera body?

I have ordered from eBay two STM KIT lenses ((18-55mm & 50-250mm). YT videos state that on a crop-sensor body there are better results gained using crop-sensor lenses. 
(I am also buying x2 5Diii used cameras this month together with the ef135mm f/2L & ef200 f/2L - both bodies will be gripped).

In April, my final purchase will be for a new R7 gripped with EF->RF & EF-s->RF adapters. This will enable me to use my old gear on the R7. I then have time to collect RF glass very very slowly!

Cameras:- 7Dii & (x2 40D)
EF:- 100mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8
EF-s:- 55-250mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm
Flashes:- x4 580exii, MT-24ex, Godox AD300Pro
Triggers:- x5 PW TT5s & x2 PW TT1s & x3 Godox X-Pro
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - Characteristics and usage notes for STM Lenses (EF-S Lenses)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

All EF & EF-S lenses work on crop sensor cameras regardless of the AF motor type. I use the EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens on my EOS 40D. It works like every other lens. Just note EF STM & Nano USM lenses utilize an electronic focus ring. The metering system must be active for the focus ring to work. Also this lens supports full time manual focus when the camera is set to One Shot AF. Make sure the camera is set to allow "USM Lens Electronic Manual Focus" enabled in the camera menu or the electronic focus ring will not work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

A huge thank you for this comprehensive and incredibly prompt answer. I will now relax and await the arrival of these lenses scheduled to arrive for early next week.

normadel
Authority
Authority

You said "YT videos state that on a crop-sensor body there are better results gained using crop-sensor lenses."

This is an odd statement. I can't think of a rationale for this. Can you elaborate, or provide links to where you saw this?

There isn't something that innately makes crop-sensor (APS-C) lenses "better" than full-frame lenses on crop-sensor bodies.. What's different is cost and available focal length & zoom ranges.  

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - Characteristics and usage notes for STM Lenses (EF-S Lenses)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

All EF & EF-S lenses work on crop sensor cameras regardless of the AF motor type. I use the EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens on my EOS 40D. It works like every other lens. Just note EF STM & Nano USM lenses utilize an electronic focus ring. The metering system must be active for the focus ring to work. Also this lens supports full time manual focus when the camera is set to One Shot AF. Make sure the camera is set to allow "USM Lens Electronic Manual Focus" enabled in the camera menu or the electronic focus ring will not work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

A huge thank you for this comprehensive and incredibly prompt answer. I will now relax and await the arrival of these lenses scheduled to arrive for early next week.

normadel
Authority
Authority

You said "YT videos state that on a crop-sensor body there are better results gained using crop-sensor lenses."

This is an odd statement. I can't think of a rationale for this. Can you elaborate, or provide links to where you saw this?

There isn't something that innately makes crop-sensor (APS-C) lenses "better" than full-frame lenses on crop-sensor bodies.. What's different is cost and available focal length & zoom ranges.  

@normadel wrote:

I would say it is the other way around. When using a full frame lens on a crop sensor body the outer edges of the imahge circle are cropped off. The outer edges are where vignetting and edge sharpness falloff occurs.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements