cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 70-200 f2.8, internal parts wobbling

devinantonovich
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I picked up an rf 70-200 f2.8. This is my first experience with this lens. I noticed that the lens was making some soft knocking noise as I was taking it out of the box, then I looked into the front element and saw this:

https://youtube.com/shorts/WgTyYlnnozs?si=kfpMZYp_0EsmTln7

Im not really an expert on lens internals, but it looks to me like the part which houses the aperture is loose and wobbles about pretty significantly when the lens is moved about. Is this normal?? Seems not very normal. When the lens is mounted to the camera and IS engages the wobble stops. Really weird. Never seen anything like this before. Please help! Luckily its still under warranty…

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The lens Optical Image Stabilization is designed to vibrate at a very, very high frequency when attached to a camera and powered on.  However, when the lens is not under power, the components will still seem loose and will wobble.
The big question is does the lens take sharp images? If so, I believe you are just seeing the normal OIS behaviour.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It seems to take sharp images so far as I can tell after looking at them on a 43” screen…

That is encouraging news.  I would hazard you are observing the normal but mildly disconcerting behaviour of the OIS system.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you do have any issues, and you live in the US, feel free to call 800-OK-CANON to talk to a technician.

cheers, TREVOR

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

From the instruction manual:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 134348.jpg

rf70-200-f28lisusm-im2-eng.pdf (c-wss.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements