cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape lens for Canon 80D

Jbeck
Apprentice

Greetings, I’m new to the forum. I’ve been shooting wildlife & landscapes for several years with a Rebel 100; 18-55 & a 75-300 zoom.

Recently I upgraded to a 80D and am looking for recommendations to shoot landscapes. The 80 came with a 18-135.  Research has brought up a variety of suggested lens; Canon 11-16, Canon 10-22 & a Tokina 11-16. I’m looking at used lens & would like to stay under $350. Thank for you feedback.

21 REPLIES 21

justadude
Rising Star

I had owned the 80D for a few years... still own a 60D which is basically the same, just older.  My favorite landscape lens was a relatively inexpensive Sigma 10-20mm made for ASP-C sensors.  I loved it so much I bought the same lens with a Pentax mount as well.  If you want to stick to Canon, they make a 10-22mm EF-S lens, but I do not have any experience with it.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Gary,

Thanks for the feedback 

Jamie

justadude
Rising Star

I did just look at B&H, and the Sigma 10-20 that I mentioned in my other reply has been discontinued after many years, but I'm sure you could find one used from a reputable dealer.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

FWIW, I had theCanon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM  lens and it is a decent optic, although it was released in 2009.  Another unit would be the Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM, released in 2014, which is the latest EF or EF-S lens released in that range by Canon..

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are really interested in landscape photography, I think the best improvement for your budget is to spend that amount on a robust tripod with a sturdy head.

Do you watch any landscape photographers on YouTube?  One of my favorites is Henry Turner.

https://youtu.be/02f8WGeUbdM?si=8J8wvDhU6lVQteg4 

755B8D60-089E-41BE-96BB-64602A741971.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What to look for in a tripod?  Load capacity.

There is no industry standard for determining and reporting load capacity.  I recommend a tripod that can “handle” in excess of 20 lbs.  This model lists for about $200 USD.

866BBA38-9775-4626-9F60-A1F715020B0A.jpeg

My brand of choice is Benro/Induro video tripods, which can do double duty for photo or video.  I like those brands because every tripod comes with a high quality carrying bag/case.  The Benro tripods that I would recommend are just over your stated budget.

Generally, I agree but I would not eliminate a wider lens either, especially as that was the original question.  Also, for a tripod, unless one is not going far from a vehicle, I would go for portability combined with capacity, which points me in the direction of carbon-fibre.
I have used MePhoto CF Road Trip tripods on occasion and found them to be great - but am not married to the brand, but it's the old story of you will take what you can carry.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Generally, I agree but I would not eliminate a wider lens either, especially as that was the original question.  Also, for a tripod, unless one is not going far from a vehicle, I would go for portability combined with capacity, which points me in the direction of carbon-fibre.
I have used MePhoto CF Road Trip tripods on occasion and found them to be great - but am not married to the brand, but it's the old story of you will take what you can carry.

The tripod in the screen is a travel tripod.  It has legs that fold up and around the head.  The folded length is less than 18 inches, or less than 0.5 meter.

As far as carbon fiber goes, i think there is a diminishing return when it comes to compact travel travel tripod.  Weight saving is not as great compared to full-size tripods that use a flat plate, with an optional center column.

You can pay 50-100% more for a carbon fiber tripod for weight saving of well under half poiund.  Now the weight difference comes down to what ball head yo want ot use.  The combo I posted weighs 4.17 pounds, including the head.

This folding Benro tripod has comparable length and weight capacity, less load capacity actually,  It lists for $350 USD.

C67C7DDF-10FE-4847-AEF0-6F42B3DE9E11.jpeg

Bill, I'm not saying your choice is wrong, I'm simply pointing out alternatives.  We don't know under exactly what conditions our OP is intending to do landscape.  They may have no issue with the one you suggest, which I think is an excellent choice.   We have no idea of their physical or age constraints, so if they want as light as possible, but still decent rigidity - either because they will be hiking  over a distance or have physical issues with weight, they now know there are options - there is never just ONE solution.  That's all I was saying... really...

cheers, TREVOR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements