cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying through a 3rd party. - US warranty eligibility

RSchump
Apprentice

Looking at buying a new RF lens. Walmart has them on sale. I was wondering if I do purchase through a store in the US, if this item is under the Canon USA warrantee?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If the product is not grey market and is purchased though an authorized canon dealer, not a market place, then it should be covered by a Canon USA US Warranty.  Walmart is an authorized dealer.  See this list:

https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-04-15-24.pdf 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have seen suggestions that Walmart may be authorized, but it is just a storefront for another unauth. carrier, Walmart is just channeling the money? So, I am confused. Also how can you tell if an item is grey market. On top of that, I have seen responses from Adorama  that even if grey market, Canon USA will honor if you have a receipt from the US store for proof.

Was finally able to get ahold of Canon. Though Walmart is an authorized Dealer , they are not the Shipping company and that company is not authorized. So no warrantee is avail. through that market path.

zakslm
Enthusiast

Are you buying from Walmart in the store or through their Walmart Marketplace online?  The reason I ask is their marketplace appear to me to operate similar to Amazon Marketplace where the actual seller sells through Walmart but the item is not sold by Walmart.  

If as Rick says, the party listed as the "sold and shipped by" party is not on the list as an authorized seller, then it may be a gray market item.

Capture.JPG

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Be aware that some Canon Factory Authorized Dealers do sell grey market gear right along side Canon USA factory backed warrranty gear.  But, they tell yo about it up front.

Grey market items have a “guarantee” from the retailer, which is not exactly the same as a warranty.  In my experience, a guarantee means refund or replace.  Warranty usually means they perform repairs, too.

6510DA5C-B321-456B-8452-8BC5D8BBD95F.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks guys, for the replies.  😊

@RSChump,

I buy my gear from 2 sources.  Canon or B&H.

I have a couple of credit cards that offer tax incentives for Canon purchases.  My tax rate is almost 9.5% They charge for sunshine here.  So one of the last places you are ever going to see me buying camera gear is BestBuy. 🤣      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements