cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I spot counterfeit canon lenses on Ebay?

michaelpowell
Contributor

I've purchased an excellent condition Canon F1N off Ebay; and have bought several lenses for it. I think one lens may be a counterfeit (the lens does not have threads on it which will accept a 55mm filter). Where do I go to verify the authenicity of my gear? Thanx. M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The FD 35-70mm f/4 uses 52mm filter threads.  The filter threads are not at the very front of the lens.

The filter threads and front element move around inside the front outer lens barrel. To put on a filter, you have to zoom to 35mm and focus to 0.5m to get the front part of the lens to come forward enough to reach the threads.

The original lens cap is a rubbery plastic Canon cap that fit fairly snugly over the outer lens barrel.  

Here are two photos: One without a filter and one with a 52mm filter installed.

_35.jpg

_35f.jpg

_35g.jpg

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I don't believe anyone has ever made counterfeit lenses. Especially when it comes to older Canon FD lenses.

Are you saying your lens has no filter threads at all?   Which lens is it?

Mike Sowsun

hello, mike!  

two weeks ago, I bought a canon fd 35-70mm f4.0 off Ebay. I only buy from sellers with a 100% rating. I needed a 55mm skylight filter to protect the lens.; got the filter, tried to screw it in... and nothing.. in fact 55mm, a standard size, was a bit too small. taking a good look at the threads on the lens... there weren't any. just concentric circles which LOOK like threads until you get about 4 inches away with a bright light. everything elsa about the lens looks like the real thing. it weighs what my other fd's weigh.  I can't find a website which gives me good info on running the serial number. If it's a fake, then it's a **bleep** good one.

I know that some of the sub-contracters (which many comanies use), will run off additional product after hours, and sell them on their own, to make more money. I don't know what i've got here.

I bought this from a guy in Japan, so I can't go and kick khim in the balls. It's the principle.

Michael

ScottyP
Authority
Yeah. That's not a thing.

There are "grey market" lenses, but those are 100% real Canon lemses; just not intended to be retailed in the US because they were wholesaled out to dealers under different terms than Canon intends for the U.S. market.

There are counterfeit camera batteries, though.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

hello, Scotty!

I bought a 35-70mm FD f4.0 lens from a guy (with a 100% Ebay  rating) in Japan. Looks like the real thing."Feels" like the real thing. Only i couldn't screw a skyliht filter into the lens . There are no threads on it. I can't get good info on running the serial number. I don't what going on with this thing. If it's a counterfeit, it's a very good one. It was $25; in the ball park for the same lens from other sellers; so I'm not out of a lot of cash. It's just the principle.

Grey market, I don't know. Why can;t I put the filter on it?

Michael

The FD 35-70mm f/4 uses 52mm filter threads.  The filter threads are not at the very front of the lens.

The filter threads and front element move around inside the front outer lens barrel. To put on a filter, you have to zoom to 35mm and focus to 0.5m to get the front part of the lens to come forward enough to reach the threads.

The original lens cap is a rubbery plastic Canon cap that fit fairly snugly over the outer lens barrel.  

Here are two photos: One without a filter and one with a 52mm filter installed.

_35.jpg

_35f.jpg

_35g.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Michael, I saw the REAL threads 5 muntes ago, and installed the proper 52mm filter. If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous. THANK YOU so much! M

Announcements