cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D What lens is best for travel to Antarctica and Africa?

TravelerHL
Apprentice

I have an EOS 7D. Planning a trip to Antarctica and Africa early next year. Would appreciate any thoughts on the best lens or lenses to take along.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Like Ricky noted, it depends upon what you plan to photograph.

A 17-40 or 24-70 would handle landscape and a lot of other tasks while one of the 150-600 "super zoom" lenses (NOT available from Canon) would handle wildlife. Of course this would leave a big hole in the middle which would be nicely filled by my favorite Canon lens, the 70-200 f2.8.

An EF 100-400 would be a possible one lens solution but it would be too narrow at the wide end for a lot of landscape use and a little short on reach at the long end for some wildlife.

For many years I traveled with Canon's 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 along with their 400 f5.6 (along with a 1.4X extender) and that was a very versatile setup without a lot of weight.

I don't think there is a great single lens solution for a serious photography trip like you probably intend to experience with these destinations.  If you limit yourself to a pair of lenses, I would go with a 24-70 2.8 or a 17-40 f4 and a Sigma or Tamron 150-600.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I know if I were to go on that trip I would buy a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens and a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. . The Siggy zoom is the sharpest zoom with a fast f1.8 constant aperture made. The big Tamron is a tad bit sharper then it's rival Sigma C and the Tamron is weather resistant while the Siggy C is not. And lots of batteries

I had two Canon 7D cameras and I love them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite

This will mainly be dependent upon how far away your subjects will be as to what we'd recommend.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Like Ricky noted, it depends upon what you plan to photograph.

A 17-40 or 24-70 would handle landscape and a lot of other tasks while one of the 150-600 "super zoom" lenses (NOT available from Canon) would handle wildlife. Of course this would leave a big hole in the middle which would be nicely filled by my favorite Canon lens, the 70-200 f2.8.

An EF 100-400 would be a possible one lens solution but it would be too narrow at the wide end for a lot of landscape use and a little short on reach at the long end for some wildlife.

For many years I traveled with Canon's 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 along with their 400 f5.6 (along with a 1.4X extender) and that was a very versatile setup without a lot of weight.

I don't think there is a great single lens solution for a serious photography trip like you probably intend to experience with these destinations.  If you limit yourself to a pair of lenses, I would go with a 24-70 2.8 or a 17-40 f4 and a Sigma or Tamron 150-600.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It would also help to know what lenses you currently have.  
That said, there are some factors that will impact upon your choice:
1. Budget for a lens - that is a critical factor as it defines the range dramatically
2. What you are prepared to carry.  Super telephoto lenses are fairly hefty.   Related to this is what and how you intend to transport your gear.  Obviously, you will be engaged in some flying and the policies of the airlines you take will define what you can take as carry-on or what you have to check in.  The latter is more risk as you have to trust that it will not be damaged or stolen in transit.  Ideally, taking your body and lenses in the cabin is the most secure.

With those things in mind, for one lens to do pretty much everything, and assuming you are prepared for the size and weight of the lens, the Sigma 60-600s lens is a brilliant optic and could arguably do the vast majority of your photography.  If you want something wide there will be a lot of choices available.   Not having to change lenses in the field is a big advantage, as doing so will cost precious time that can cost you a great image, and leaves the camera body open to dust etc.  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I know if I were to go on that trip I would buy a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens and a Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. . The Siggy zoom is the sharpest zoom with a fast f1.8 constant aperture made. The big Tamron is a tad bit sharper then it's rival Sigma C and the Tamron is weather resistant while the Siggy C is not. And lots of batteries

I had two Canon 7D cameras and I love them.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This will mainly be dependent upon how far away your subjects ...."

While this is very true the two lenses I recommend and your feet will certainly cover anything you might want to shoot. The super fast aperture of the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom will pretty much live on your 7D. It will work admirably indoor where light may be a challenge and work well outdoors with a pretty substantial wide FOV. The big Tamron will work when you can't get closer and you won't have to worry if a bit of water or ice gets on it.

EB
Announcements