cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is USM Lens from Amazon. Want to confirm it's a US product.

NS58
Apprentice

I found this lens on Amazon, a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is USM Lens with Lens Pouch, Commander Optics 3 Piece Filter Kit, Cap. How do I make sure that it is actually made for sale in the US. Is there a number on the lens that I can check? 

This is the conversation I had with the seller.  

Me: I read a review that said your items should not be sold in the US. Is this lens an actual Canon lens and does Canon support this lens?
Oct 11, 2023 2:01 PM
Seller: Hi, The item is a genuine Canon item. We take care of any support or warranty. Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It sounds to me like you are looking at a genuine Canon, but what is called Grey Market lens.  These are genuine product that are imported outside of Canon's official distribution network and sold through 3rd parties (i.e. not authorized dealers).

While they are most likely genuine units, they are not covered by Canon warranty and may not be serviced or supported by Canon locally - which is why the vendor responded that they cover the warranty of this themselves.   There is risk: on one side you should be getting the unit at a much lower cost, on the counter consideration you need to be happy that the lens will either be fine through its support life, or that it will be reliably serviced using the vendor's resources - so you pay your money and take your chances, so to speak.

While we cannot encourage you to purchase outside the official channels, if you do decide to consider going this way, then you should look up the reputation of the vendor on the site on which they sell to see how much they have sold and what their satisfaction level is, any comments on support.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suggest you follow Trevor's advice. 

Amazon seller...  Don't do it.

Oct 11, 2023 2:01 PM
Seller: Hi, The item is a genuine Canon item. We take care of any support or warranty. Thank you.

It's best to have warranty and support from Canon.  Not a Amazon Seller who may not be legit or in business next week, month, etc.

Whatever deal you might get won't be worth it if you need support or warranty.  

Here is a list of Canon authorized resellers.

If you want refurb, buy directly from Canon's Refurb store.

If you want used, buy from B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Further to Rick's comment.  If you want to explore the Canon Refurb option, there is one of these lenses available:
Shop Canon Refurbished EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon U.S.A.,

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

"When in doubt, don't."

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Any lens sold by Amazon itself is a real Canon USA product as Amazon is an authorized Canon USA dealer. Any of the Amazon resellers or Amazon Market Place are probably not authorized Canon USA dealers. Good luck if you ever have any problems with it as Cannon USA is not obligated to service it. Who knows what the policy of the store is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements