cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adapting EF lenses to an EOS R6 Mark II

CarterS66
Contributor

Are there any EF lenses that don’t have a 1.6x crop when you adapt them to an RF mount? For example, I want to purchase a 24-70 to be able to take astrophotography pictures but also be able to do a wide range of shots. I don’t have the budget for an RF 24-70, but I’m worried that an EF 24-70 will have a 1.6x crop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Sigma is a crop only lens. Sigma use DG (Full Frame) and DC (APS-C). To differentiate between the 2 formats. But those lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount for both. Instead of Canon's approach of 2 different mounts for APS-C (EF-S) and Full Frame (EF).

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EF 24-70mm is a full frame lens.  Avoid the EF-S lenses.

Lenses do not have crop factors, the camera bodies do.  The EOS R6 Mark II is a full frame sensor camera, which means it does not have a crop factor.  BUT…. (There is always a but)

But, EOS lenses have come in two different flavors.  There are EF lenses and EF-S lenses.  The EF series of lenses project a full size image circle on the sensor and are made for full frame cameras.  

The EF-S series of lenses are made for APS-C sensor cameras.  They project a smaller image circle that is just large enough to cover the smaller APS-C image sensors.  The EF-S lenses use a lens mount that prevents them from being mounted on a full frame camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, thanks for your clarification. Whenever I use my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, the camera won’t let me change the crop factor from 1.6x even though I believe neither of these lenses are EF-S lenses.

Do you have a different camera to test the mount adapter or lens on. It could be a faulty mount adapter or camera. Full Frame EF lenses won't cause a 1.6x crop. 3rd Party APS-C lenses may or may NOT cause the camera to crop. 3rd Party APS-C lenses use the EF Mount with an APS-C image circle.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Funny enough I just retested my Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and it works full frame. I think it was just that the sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens I was using was causing the crop.

The Sigma is a crop only lens. Sigma use DG (Full Frame) and DC (APS-C). To differentiate between the 2 formats. But those lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount for both. Instead of Canon's approach of 2 different mounts for APS-C (EF-S) and Full Frame (EF).

-Demetrius

There is another but...

If you you use an EF-S lens on an RF full-frame body, it turns into a crop sensor camera, to avoid using the "bad" part of the image circle.

Using an EF-S (or RF-S) lens on an RF full-frame body actually goes beyond just turning it into a crop sensor camera. It turns it into a low-resolution crop sensor camera.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Yes that is true. Image sensor capacity is reduced by a factor of 2.5x. 

-Demetrius

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I want to purchase a 24-70 to be able to take astrophotography pictures ..." 

A better choice for that might be the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Full Frame Ultra Wide Angle. Besides it is very much cheaper.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements