cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG3640 Stopped printing documents but prints pictures

cnwcywig
Apprentice

My printer suddenly will not print doc or pdf files. The printer makes all the right noises, but only a blank page comes out.

It prints pictures perfectly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cnwcywig
Apprentice

I don't know why, but today when  turned on the computer I found it printed perfectly. It's very strange because nothing I'd tried before worked. But anyway, it now works.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Cliff

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, cnwcywig!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you run a nozzle check?

Some printers use a black pigment ink for text and dye inks for photos.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

cnwcywig
Apprentice

It's an MG 3640, a couple of years old. I've done a test print and a nozzle clean, and it says everying is working properly and there are no faults. The ink appears to be running - jpegs print OK.

I read that it could be that the drivers needed updating, so I deleted the printer and then installed it again - it did this automatically when I plugged in the cable, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. It behaves as if it were printing, winding the paper through slowly and traversing the cartridges across the page, but then when it ejects the page it is blank. Something, but only in Word and acrobat, isn't communicating.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Just to be clear, did your nozzle check look like this:

https://support.usa.canon.com/library/ij/Manual/All/MG3600%20series/EN/BG/bg-maintenance1300.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suspect this could be a drivers issue based on the comment, "I removed the printer and drivers, then it automatically reinstalled when I plugged in the cable"

When you are connecting a USB printer, you should install the drivers first, and connect the device when prompted.  Windows will try to install drivers when you connect a device.  They might be incomplete or not correct.

I'd grab this package

MG3600 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)

From this site

PIXMA MG3640 - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon Central and North Africa (ca...

Disconnect the USB cable, remove the printer, uninstall its software and restart the system.

Then run the new installer and only connect the printer when prompted to do so.  See if this works for you. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

cnwcywig
Apprentice

I don't know why, but today when  turned on the computer I found it printed perfectly. It's very strange because nothing I'd tried before worked. But anyway, it now works.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Cliff

Great news. Please mark thread Solved. Thanks.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements