cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX 892 Won't Turn On

Mortypie
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892, which I would guess is a little over a year old, has suddenly stopped working.  I was able to print just two days ago, but now the unit will not turn on at all.  Yes it is plugged in and yes the cord is connected to the unit.  It simply won't start no matter how many times the power button is pushed or how long it is held down.  Is this a known issue and what might be a way to fix this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi Mortypie, turnem and ticarre:

Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer and from the wall outlet/surge protector and leave them out for at least 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Sometimes one port on a surge protector will work, while another will not, so we recommend plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

2.  If the printer reset didn't work, please try to plug the printer into another power outlet in a different area of the room, or another room if possible and try to turn the unit on.

3.  If you have another power cord you can use with the printer, please try to use that power cord to see if this will power the unit on.

If the printer still does not turn on after these steps, it will require servicing to resolve the issue.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

218 REPLIES 218

since very few people pay the ridiculous prices for OEM ink, Canon has offset that by making the printers "throw away". they use the cheapest parts available with the expectation that these things last until the warranty runs out. you can find deals on them for ~$50 (price i paid for my MX892) almost every month. it is almost to the point that you can just buy a new printer when your intial ink cartriges run out for less money than replacing the ink. the worst part is the volume of toxic trash that ends up in landfills...

Woodrow
Apprentice

After reading many of these posts, maybe I should feel lucky that my MX892 lasted 2 years and 2 months before it died suddenly.  Will not power on.  It worked well until yesterday when it just quit.

For years I associated the name Canon with quality, but they are taking a serious hit with this product.  It would have been a huge PR gain for Canon if they had stepped up, bit the bullet and made good on all of these defective printers.  They chose a different route, and are losing loads of customers as a result.  Not smart.   

Am looking at a Brother laser printer for my next purchase.  So far, the research looks promising.  Time will tell.  

Adios, Canon.

2015-06-04 20.07.58.jpg

This hangs where I work as a reminder every day to take care of the customer. It reminds me to go out of my way to show that I'm here to help and that I care.

Canon needs a few. 

junebug65
Apprentice

Same problem as the rest of you.  Printed ten pages, turned back to my computer to hit print for another document, looked back at the printer which was dead as a doornail.  Two years old,  one of the more expensive printers and by Canon so had hoped for good quality.  Dead computer, and lots of ink cartridges that will not fit the next computer just like everyone else!

bucks4junk
Apprentice

This is a wide spread problem.  The people who have entered on this forum is just a smattering of the many who have had the same problem.  It is unfortunate that Canon is unwilling to address the problem and offer a fix other than trash your MX892 and buy the MX922 under their "Loyalty Program" which offers a discount, but be aware that Amazon sells the same printer for less than Canon does, if you dare to chance another Canon product.

back_to_HP
Apprentice
Look at all the recent helpful responses from the canon team...

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, these canon printers were so bad that class action lawsuits have been filed so they probably just don't even care to help anymore.

So happy with my new hp printer so far. Staples was even nice enough to exchange my unused canon cartridges for hp ones.

To everyone on this forum:  Canon might care if a bunch of people bombard their Facebook page with complaints.  I have copy and pasted several of these comments to their page - I haven't received a satisfactory response, but at least I've recieved responses.

If you want to take the time, here's a link to their page.

https://www.facebook.com/CanonUSA?fref=ts

Happened to me today.

Beautful printer just died

After a few pages I noticed Canon was not addressing the problem, so I skipped to then end. I see Canon has no interest at all in addressing it - rather their interest is keeping you in the dark on the technical reason for the failure or a fix - and getting you to buy more product at a higher price than you can get it elsewhere.

However, earlier today I read on another forum how many people have solved their similar problem - obviously, without help from Canon. 

Here is what helped some of the folks get their printers working:

"

fixed my iP4500. I think.

I had the same problem as above. My iP4500 is only 18 months old and rarely used, although I leave it on all the time. However, following a power outage, I couldn't get it to turn on. Tried different receptacles, pressing different button sequences, nada. It was dead.

I assumed the power outage had caused a surge, possibly blowing an internal fuse. After reading the posts above, I realized there was no fuse ... and perhaps the power outage had blown a circuit board, meaning the whole printer would be replaced.

I know nothing of electronics or circuitry. But I decided I had nothing to lose ...

I placed the printer standing on its front face (where printed paper comes out) to examine the bottom. I noticed the power cord isn't directly attached -- it is a removable plug which fits on two prongs mounted on the printer. I removed the power cord, then noticed the prongs are seated in what appears to be a separate module. Turns out, this module can be easily removed -- pressing in just two plastic tabs will release it. However, it now remains attached to the printer by a white plastic slide-on connector holding four colored wires. This white connector plug is easily disconnected, and the box-shaped module is now free. It measures about 6" by 2" by 2".

On the cover you will see a small silver hex-head screw. You will need a #4 mm hex socket to unscrew it. I used a screwdriver as a wedge to pry up this cover where it is seated on the other side. Out came the circuit board ...

I didn't see any burn marks or damaged-looking components on the circuit board. And since I come from the old school of "take it apart and put it back together to see if it works," I decided to fool around.

I directly re-connected the circuit board to the dangling white connector hanging from the printer. Then I re-attached the female end of the power cord to the two prongs. Next I plugged in the power wire to a receptacle ... then hit the ON button.

Voila! The power light came on and the printer started making noises. I immediately shut it down, then re-assembled the module and re-installed it in the printer. I then took the printer to my computer, reattached the USB wire, plugged in the power cord and turned it on again. After the usual warm-up noises, the thing is printing perfectly again.

I honestly have no idea if I actually "fixed" anything. Perhaps the power cord was loose from the prongs, or perhaps the wire connector wasn't seated properly before. But this whole effort took less than 10 minutes, and I can say my printer is now working just fine again. Maybe this will help someone else .."

THANKS, Canon!

hksoftware
Apprentice

I've had the same thing with a Canon Pixma MG5350.

I'm gutted. I've only previously owned Epsons and they always ended up printing streaks.

When I bought this Canon, I was delighted. It always printed beautifully and had loads of great features. I've been telling everyone how I'm converted to Canon.

Then, 18 months after purchase, it just died. No lights, nothing. It just died.

I've opened it up and the PSU module has voltages which are making it to the main board.

I've tried reseating the flat-flex connectors into the board, nothing.

I'm gutted. I want another Canon printer, but this thread shows them doing practically nothing to assist with what looks like a common fault.

CANON, HELP US! IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHERE THE FAULT LIES, I CAN FIX IT MYSELF AND STICK TO CANON!

hksoftware
Apprentice

Okay I called Canon UK support and spoke to a chap who was very polite, but didn't have a clue about this issue.

He gave me a number to the Canon UK repair centre: 0148377 6060

The lady there knew exactly what is what. This fault could be the PSU, printhead or main board.

In my case, I've tested for voltages and it doesn't seem to be the PSU.

For my printer (Pixma MG5350) a new PSU would be £27, sold on a strictly no-returns basis.

A new main board would be £119. The printer itself is only about £80 so I've no idea why anybody would pay more just for the board when they can save nearly £40 and get a whole new printer!

I think a new printer is probably the only feasible solution for me. It's a shame to bin something like this just because of one part.

Announcements