cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX532 will print but not scan from iMac

mhlerch
Contributor

I can print and scan from my MacBook Pro over my network to my Canon MX532.  I load the same drivers to my new iMac and only print works.  Image Capture shows the device but shows zero devices and the scan button appears on the menu for the printer when I select it, but then neither way can connect.  I have deleted and re-added the printer multiple times.  I've restarted the iMac and the printer several times.  I've downloaded every driver available multiple times.  Nothing works.  Is there just an incompatibility between and IMac and the 532 that isn't an issue with a somewhat older MacBookPro?  Appreciate any other ideas.

8 REPLIES 8

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Just to confirm, when you downloaded and installed the CUPS printer driver from the Canon website, did you also download and install the ICA Driver Ver. 5.0.0 and IJ Scan Utility2 Ver.2.4.?  

If so, please open IJ Scan Utility and see if the computer can scan using that program. 

We look forward to your reply. 

Thanks for your response.  I have downloaded and tried every driver on the support page on Canon's site for the MX530 series printers.  That said, there isn't one labeled CUPS and I don't see where I could get that.  Can you provide a link.  None of the drivers work that are provided for scanning on my iMac even though they work fine on my older MacBook Pro

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi mhlerch,

Please click on the Apple in the upper left corner of your Mac and then About This Mac.

What version of the Mac operating system is installed on your computer?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for asking.  Sonoma 14.1 on the iMac and Sonoma 14.1.1 on the MacBook Pro.  Pro works and the iMac doesn't

Hi,

The CUPS driver can be found HERE

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thx, but that driver doesn't work either.  Says failed to open on the iMac, but works fine from the MacBook Pro.  None of there drivers seem to work from the iMac for some reason

Hi,

If it works on one Mac but not the other, I recommend reaching out to Apple support. They can troubleshoot the iMac to see why the drivers are installing.

Thx again for your reply.  I've done a couple rounds with Apple support and they trhew up their hands and said try Canon support.  All of the drivers available for this printer load on the iMac.  It's just that when you try to access the scanner functionality on the 532 from the iMac it says it can't connect.  It's not worth paying Canon up front for support when I don't know if they can even solve it given it just appears to be an explained bug of some sort and I have the workaround with the MacBook.  It's just not as convenient.

Announcements