cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP4300 malfunction

bubsywub
Apprentice

After years of flawless operation, my IP4300 has begun to malfunction. It has begun to skip half of horizontal lines. It is difficult to describe and I wish I could upload a photo. I did a cleaning. I tried to align the heads but it keeps failing which I think is caused by my problem. I love this printer and haven't really used it much. Any suggestions? I did a test print and the printer cut off the bottom and/or the top of some of the printed lines. 

10 REPLIES 10

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi bubsywub,

Based on your description of the issue, the Encoder Film inside the printer may be smeared.  Please follow the procedures below to check the film condition, and clean it when necessary:

1.  Press the power button to turn your PIXMA iP4300 off.

2.  Unplug the power cord from the printer.  Be sure to turn off the printer power and unplug the power cord first.

3.  Open the Paper Output Cover.

4.  Check if the Encoder Film inside the printer is clear.  The Encoder Film is the transparent thin film.  Please view the image at the bottom of this post for further detail.

5.  If the Encoder Film is smeared as shown in the image, it needs to be cleaned.

6.  Place a few drops of neutral detergent (2 to 3 drops of neutral detergent in 1/4 cup of tap water) on a cotton swab with water. CAUTION: Do not use any other detergents.

7.  Moisten a cotton swab with the prepared cleaning water. Eliminate extra water so that no water drops.

8.  Using the moistened cotton swab, wipe the Encoder Film.  CAUTION: Be cautious so that no water drops inside the printer.

CAUTION:  Do not contact the rail. If the rail is contacted, the print quality may be deteriorated. The Encoder Film is fixed to the printer with the springs at the ends. If the film is pushed too strong, it may be dislocated. Do not push the film. Just gently move the cotton swab over the surface of the film.

Also, please keep your hands off the printer and clean the film with the tip of the cotton swab.  Change the cotton swab to new ones frequently.

9.  Eliminate any stains or smearing from the film until the entire film becomes transparent and clear.

10.  If the trail of detergent is left on the film, clean it using a cotton swab that is moistened with just water.  If moisture is left on the film, eliminate it using a dry cotton swab, and wait until the film dries well.

11.  Close the Paper Output Cover, and plug in the power cord of the printer.

12.  Press the power button to turn your PIXMA iP4300 on.

13.  Please print a test page.

14.  If the problem persists, check and clean the Encoder Film again.

If the print quality is still not improved even after repeated cleaning of the Encoder Film, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Encoder strip.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have a 4300 and I have NO idea what this very small photo shows. The only "paper output cover" is the front drop down panel and there is only the rollers showing.
It looks like those photos are for a different printer!

yes, t is very hard to find from theses photos, but it is there, i ended up calling technical support and someone spent a long time on the phone with me while i located it and cleaned it. unfortunately, while the situation improved it dd not totally fix my particular problem.  i don't remember where i found the numbe,  but once i did,  i got very good support

Ok, so where is it?

If there was a overall view (called a locator) where you have a reference, it would be easy.

There is no 'locator' shot, just a closeup.  Poor documentation.

Hi videobruce,

The clear strip is behind the carraige that the ink sits in.  The image is showing the inside back wall of the printer.

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are you talking about that almost invisible, party translucent strip that hangs in front of the lower carriage belt and directly above that silver shaft (for lack of a better term) that the carriage rides on?

Hi videobruce,

Your desciption is quite good.  You have precisely descibed the encoder (timing) strip.

I forgot to add, that it is mostly blocked by the ribbon cables for the carriage. 

Like i said, they need to add a 'locater' photo first.

Ok, where is this "select as solutuion" button hidden?

Hi, videobruce!

Each reply should have a button marked "Accept As Solution."  Just click that on the response you found most helpful.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Announcements