cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert 5d mark iv 4K to premiere

canoe
Apprentice

I'm trying to find a means of converting 5D mark iv video to a Premiere CS6 editable format while retaining the highest video quality.  Is there a certain video conversion program and/or output format that would give the best result? 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

from the 5D Mark IV product description.

"Designed for both professional stills shooting and video recording, the 5D Mark IV supports DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution recording at up to 30 fps at 500 Mbps, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 60 fps and HD 720p at 120 fps for slow motion playback. When recording in-camera, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth, while Full HD 1080p footage has 4:2:0 sampling. Uncompressed Full HD 1080p video can also be saved via HDMI to an optional external recorder with 4:2:2 color sampling. 4K video is recorded using a central 4096 x 2160 area of the sensor at a 1.74x crop in order to record video with an ideal 1:1 pixel sampling ratio, while Full HD recording makes use of the entire full frame."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems pretty versatile and standard to me.  Have you tried asking Adobe?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I tried Adobe, after 10 days and 65 views, still no replys.  Premiere CS6 supports several 'Red' 4K formats, these use a huge amount of disc space but might be a lossless option.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you on a Mac?

Apple ProRes is designed for this.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Are you on a Mac?

Apple ProRes is designed for this.

The basic problem is that Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 is more or less obsolete when it comes to 4k video support.  This has nothing to do with the camera, at all.  The software is outdated.

I have a PC, but there is a Premiere option for 'Pro Res', which I have heard great things about.  I guess I'll have to do so trial and error using frame grabs.

I do not know whether or not the 5D Mark IV can output a "clean" HDMI video signal, or not.  I think it does.   But, you may want to consider an external audio/video recording device, like an Atomos Ninja. 

If you're using the 5D Mark IV almost exclusively for video, you might consider an actual video camera like an EOS Cinema C100 with the dual pixel option.

diverhank
Authority

@canoe wrote:

I'm trying to find a means of converting 5D mark iv video to a Premiere CS6 editable format while retaining the highest video quality.  Is there a certain video conversion program and/or output format that would give the best result? 

I don’t have the 5D mark IV so can’t help you directly.  I wasn’t aware that Premiere CS6 cannot edit the 5D4 4K video?  In general, the PC needs the correct video CODEC installed then all software (including Premier) will know what to do with a certain format.  The 5D4 4K video uses the MJPEG format (motion jpeg). 

Have you installed the EOS Movie Utility 1.6 that comes with the 5D4?  You should install it because I suspect that it will install all of the necessary codecs into your computer.  Once they are installed, all programs should be able to use them.   If you have and it still doesn’t work, you might want to download and install the codecs – they are available on the internet, albeit risky…

I don’t like using video conversion programs…there will always be a performance degradation cost after each conversion.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I'm actually still using a 1D Mark iv, and strongly considering getting the 5D mark iv.   The 5D has the perfect crop factor for a couple ongoing wildlife video projects.   It would be nice to have some 5D video footage footage to work with, so that I could try some conversions.

Janekong
Enthusiast

The Canon 5D Mark IV record 4K video with MJEG format, which separately compresses JPEGs in a sequence, which leads to high quality outcome in terms of resolution. The MJPEG is usually very large in size and will consumer a lot of bandwidth and storage when editing in Premiere Pro CS6. You can choose to transcode it to Apple Prores format which will ensure you a high quality and high performance workflow.

Announcements