cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility software issue on OS X 10.7

monicaschmidt64
Apprentice

Hi- I have recently purchased the EOS 60D and am interested in using the Utility software that comes with it. I am trying to download the update for OS X 10.7 and I get all the way to having the disc image "EU2.13.40" mounted and once I open that and click to download ..... I get the files being extracted but then nothing. I believe this is when the complete download and computer restart should be happening. Please help!!!

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It should be opening and mounting the disk image -- which would normally appear on your desktop unless you've told Finder to hide that.

Click "Finder" (usually in the dock) then at the menu at the top of the screen, navigate to to "Finder" -> "Preferences..." which opens the preference window.  In the "General" category, make sure that "External disks" is checked.  If this is not checked then mounted disk images will not appear.

From there, you can double click the disk image on your desktop to open and launch the installer.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I've done as you said and it appears that the "external disks" was already checked….. once I open and double click to start the download all I get is a message saying "extracting files" and then nothing afterwards. There is a slight jump in my dock but no download screen opens up.

Hi Monica -- I just tested the download and patch and it is working.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. It will download a .zip file.
  2. When you open the .zip file, it will expand into a .dmg file (Apple "Disk Image" file)
  3. When you open the disk image, it will "mount" a disk to your desktop (also visible in Finder)
  4. If you select the disk image (double click the icon on your desktop or select it from the sidebar in Finder) you should see a single icon named "EU2.13.40x_updater" -- double click that.
  5. When you double-click that, you will likely get a warming which reads "EU2.13.40X_updater" is an application downloaded from the Internet.  Are you sure you wnat to open it?"  You have to click the "Open" button to proceed.
  6. Here's where there's a bit of Mac security that may be stopping you... you may not be allowed to open it.  The Mac has a feature which keeps track of where something comes from and can limit what you are allowed to open.  To check your settings, do the following:
  7. Open "System Preferences" on the Mac.
  8. Pick the "Security & Privacy" icon (in the top row of icons)
  9. In Security & Privacy, make sure you select the "General" tab.
  10. If the padlock in the lower left corner has it's shackle "closed" (locked) then click the padlock and type your password to "unlock" it (settings can only be made by users flagged as "admins" and you can set security to require that preferences be "unlocked" before they can be changed.)
  11. In the lower half of the window, the text should read:  "Allow apps downloaded from: "   Pick the option that says "Mac App Store and identified developers" (this is required since you did not download the app directly from the Mac App Store.  You could also select "Anywhere" but it is less security.  If you ever need to change it to "Anywhere" to allow for access to an app that you still trust even though it came from an unidentified developer, then don't forget to change it back after installing.
  12. Once you have done this, then the updater should be allowed to run.
  13. Upon launch... it should say "Extracting files" (and displays a progress graph)
  14. It should then pop up  ascreen asking you to select the region where you live (e.g. "USA, Canada, Latin America")
  15. Follow prompts as needed
  16. When finished, close the installer and "Eject" the disk image.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements