cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i EOS Utility seems to download via USB cable to Windows 10 computer, but I cannot view/edit them

PaulEK
Apprentice

I'm sort of at my wits' end. I've done this same thing a thousand times, with this computer and this camera, but today, when I downloaded, everything looked the same -- thumbprints of each image scrolling by as they are loaded, etc. But when I went to look at and/or edit them, only the first several opened up. The rest just showed nothing but their file names (in Photoshop elements 13), or a question mark in Digital Photo Professional. No way to open or see or edit them.

Here's what I've tried to do to solve this: uploaded the latest version of EOS Utility, a different USB cable, a different port on my PC, new images on the current SD card, new images on a new SD card. I also tried to completely remove all the images and re-load them. No images will load properly for me. The images look normal inside the camera, both the RAW and the jpegs. The camera still shoots new ones just fine. All my old images look just fine on the computer. In fact, again, about half of these 60-odd images load just fine each time I re-attempt it. Please help!

6 REPLIES 6

PaulEK
Apprentice

Okay, I went to my laptop and tried it on there, and everything worked fine. So, there is some issue with my PC. That's not good, since, first, my laptop is relatively old, and much slower than my PC. Second, my PC is where I have Photoshop Elements, and I don't have that on my laptop. My PC is also where I've done all my photo stuff for years: it's where my files are stored and organized. I want sell a car right now on Craigslist, so I guess I'll figure out a way to just get the images I took of the car today modified enough to post the ad. But I really want to get this issue fixed for future use. Not having things work really brings home to me both how I take my photography process for granted. I am not happy thinking about having to re-learn something that's just become second nature!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Second, my PC is where I have Photoshop Elements, and I don't have that on my laptop. My PC is also where I've done all my photo stuff for years: it's where my files are stored and organized. “

Are you saying that it has worked in the past, but now you are having issues with it?

i leaning toward agreeing with you.  There seems to be some sort of issue with your PC.  Something has changed.  Have you installed a new app?  Windows upgrade or update?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, this has all worked for me in the past; many, many times. I'm an amateur astronomer, and have even gotten a book published on it, with over a hundred images, all taken by me and processed through this set-up. I'm not trying to boast; just explaining that I know -- at least to a fair extent -- what I'm doing.

I found this page at Microsoft. It's a list of known issues that might affect user's computers. And if you scroll down, there is an item called 'Some apps might fail to playback, record, or capture video'. To 'fix' this, Microsoft requires the user to go through a process of signing up to something, and then going through a list of steps to remove the particular bit of updating, so your computer goes back to its previous settings. I'm not a fan of computer tech lingo and jargon, with the additional unclear language they use to get you through things. They always seem to assume that anyone looking at their info is already familiar with what they're doing, so they leave out vital information and definitions. My eyes started glazing over after reading just a few lines. I'll go through it if I have to, but since I don't even know whether this will fix the issue, it's hard to get motivated to slog through the steps.

I'm bothered that, rather than actually fixing this issue and including it in another update, Microsoft makes me go through these steps to maybe solve my problem. And this is just one of the many items on the list. I realize that operating systems are increasingly complex, but this is what this very profitable company does, and what we pay for.

I'll end my rant now. I just hope someone responds to my post and says, 'Oh, no, I had this same problem. Just do this simple thing and all will be well.' If that doesn't happen fairly soon, I'll bite the bullet and try the steps Microsoft suggests. Yuck.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Have you installed a new app?  Windows upgrade or update?

” ,,,To 'fix' this, Microsoft requires the user to go through a process of signing up to something, and then going through a list of steps to remove the particular bit of updating, so your computer goes back to its previous settings..

I will take that to be an affirmation that you’ve performed some type of update or upgrade, and now some apps are not working properly.  I regret that I’m unable to help your troubleshoot your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

normadel
Authority
Authority

First of all, you DO NOT NEED EOS Utility, Photoshop Elements, DPP, or any other software to download files from your camera to your computer. If that is, you have a functioning USB cable and good USB jacks on the camera and computer.

If the T7i has WiFi, turn it off.  Then connect camera and computer. The camera should mount in Windows's File Explorer as a drive. Does it? If not, there is a connection problem. If it does mount, open it, and open the DCIM folder. Your files should be in there, to drag/move/copy to your computer.

The alternative is to put the SD card in a USB card reader (they are cheap to buy) and plug it into the computer. It should mount, and the DCIM folder would have your files. Move them to computer. If they will not open properly, then there is a corruption issue. Try a different SD card. They don't last forever and yours may be failing.

Thanks for the comment, normadel! I was aware that there were other ways to load the images, but you had no way to know that. And they seemed to be loading fine. But there was nothing there when I tried to view them.

I figured out what the problem is (well, mostly, my son did): the latest update from Microsoft took up so much space in Windows C that there was not enough space in there to upload anything more. When we tried to free up some space through getting rid of waste, it worked, but in the process we found out that one of the mirrored internal hard drives inside the computer has failed. It's in there as a sort of data protection device, which has worked, since the other one is fine. But once I found that out, I didn't attempt trying to upload anything yet. I've ordered a new hard drive and will install it once it arrives, and then I'll work on photos again. I'm convinced we've solved the issue, but will post here if I turn out to be wrong.

Thanks again for the feedback, and for providing a place where I could vent a bit!

Announcements