cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will permanently attach EF to RF adapter to body and EF lens weaken or damage the springs

YSC
Apprentice

Hi there I am wondering if I keep a lens attached to the RF body with the control ring adapter for storage, possibly around a year in the upright position (lens pointing up) or putting the set in a camera backpack (lens pointing sideways and supported by the dividers) will in long term weaken the leaf spring in tthe adapter and camera mount so that maybe the lens alignment will be off to a side a bit? coz I just got my adapter and even screwing the cap on it somehow it feels I am squeezing through the tight leaf springs, I just wonder keeping the springs under permanaent load and maybe slight bouncing during travel inside the bag is a good idea and will result in issues?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I almost always have a lens mounted on my camera.  Having a lens or mount adapter on the camera for an extended period of time is not going to damage it functionally.  Orientation doesn't matter.  If you're going to store it long term, I'd probably put a body cap on the body and a rear lens cap on the lens.   

Where you store is almost as important as how you store.  I bought a dry cabinet about a month ago and keep all of my gear in there now.  I don't think storing in a backpack or case is a good idea long term.  Climate, temperature and humidity are things you need to be aware of.  You don't need to be paranoid, but if you live in a humid environment, storing equipment in a bag that can attract and retain moisture is not a good idea.  It's important to keep your gear clean.  Free of dust, moisture and contaminants.  Mold is opportunistic so if the environment is unfavorable it doesn't grow.  My gear would never sit for a year unused, so this is not something I really think about.  I usually wipe my gear down prior to use.  I always wipe my gear down before longer term storage.  I suggest you store your gear as suggested above.  Body cap and lens caps in place.  Cool, dry, with airflow so nothing sits and attracts moisture. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick.

thanks I was kind of sleepy ytd and didn’t write full. (Maybe language barrier contribute a bit on my side also) I am using a dry cabinet for a long time for storage, only in bag during transport in flights or hiking.

i used to always attach my EF 24-70 II on my 5D mk 3 but just wondering someday since the mount relies on 3 leaf springs to hold the lens aligned perfectly and if you wiggle the lens it would have a slight feel of wiggling. I know one mount interface isn’t going to do much overtime but as I now uses mainly a R6 2 with all lens being EF with adapter, could long term keeping the leaf springs in compressed state or the slight vibrations in camera bag with lens attached would weaken the spring in long term (after thought it seems will be fine, since even not using a heavy lens, the lens cap will give pressure to the springs anyway)

thanks for the aid

Sam 

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

YSC,

Remember to take the battery out.

Steve Thomas

justadude
Rising Star

I kept the EF/RF adaptor on my Canon RP body for most of 4 years without any problems, or loosening of any springs.  Sold it recently, and everything was still in good shape when mounting EF lenses with the adaptor, or removing it and mounting RF lenses.  I don't think you have to worry - should be perfectly fine.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements