cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original drop-in filter for EF 600 MK II

steinrr
Contributor

I have been trying to find out what the original drop-in filter for EF 600 MK II is.

The manual says:

"A 52(WII)-series drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter is included with the lens.
The Drop-In Screw-Type Filter Holder 52(WII) and Drop-In Circular Polarizing Filter PL-C52(WII) are also available (sold separately)."

I suspect it might be this:

StevenMOD_0-1695163560718.png

What I don't understand is that the manual says "with a glass filter". Does the filter in the link provided also come with a glass? And is this glass something that is not removed but will stay there always - even if you add gelatin filters?

I also found this:

StevenMOD_1-1695163607409.png

I think it is the same, but here it says: "These glass-backed holders accept up to three commercially available cut-to-size gelatin filters for rear-insertion lenses"

Does this "glass-backed" refer to what the manual call "glass filter"?

I hope someone can enlighten me...

[Links replaced per Community guidelines]

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Hello.

"What I don't understand is that the manual says "with a glass filter". Does the filter in the link provided also come with a glass? And is this glass something that is not removed but will stay there always - even if you add gelatin filters?"

Yes - see this page from the manual:

Screenshot 2023-09-19 152425.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, this is the page from the manual that I was referring to in my question - I have seen that. But nowhere in the description of the gelatin drop-in filter that you can purchase does it say that it comes with the glass filter. So that is my question...

You can see that the gelatin filter is just a sheet and they have you trim the corners.

The description says: drop-in filter holder with glass filter is included.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

normadel
Authority
Authority

The manual SAYS that the 52(WII) HAS a CLEAR glass filter, which is required with the lens' optical system. It is not removable. You cut gelatin filters to fit the holder, as shown.

Ok, so even if Canon's pages for the 52(WII) gelatin holder does not say anything about an included glass filter, it will be part of the filter holder?

Yes. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

THE MANUAL PAGE SAYS IT!

No, the manual says "A 52(WII)-series drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter is included with the lens."

It does not say that the filter holder always is shipped with a glass filter. And also e.g. the BH Photo page and Canon's own pages for the filter does not mention anything about a glass filter being part of the filter holder. This was the reason why I am posting this. The manual could be read as "it comes with the filter holder and btw we have also included a glass filter".

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I'm curious. Do you have the lens but no holder was included?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements