cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field Monitor with 5Dii or 7D

bubbagutz
Apprentice

I just purchased a field monitor, Feelworld FW568, and cannot get it to work with both of my 5Dii’s or both of my 7D’s.  The monitor works with my nintendo switch connected to it and the camera’s work plugged into a TV, so cable/monitor/cameras work, but not together. Is there a setting with these that needs to be changed or are they simply incompatible? The monitor came with an HDMI to micro HDMI cable and the cameras all have “mini” HDMI, so a different cable was used. (I cannot find any info online, anywhere).

7 REPLIES 7

Veum335
Contributor

@epayitonline wrote:

I just purchased a field monitor, Feelworld FW568, and cannot get it to work with both of my 5Dii’s or both of my 7D’s.  The monitor works with my nintendo switch connected to it and the camera’s work plugged into a TV, so cable/monitor/cameras work, but not together. Is there a setting with these that needs to be changed or are they simply incompatible? The monitor came with an HDMI to micro HDMI cable and the cameras all have “mini” HDMI, so a different cable was used. (I cannot find any info online, anywhere).

I am looking to do some video work w/ my 5D Mark II (and maybe my 7D) and am contemplating a field / video monitor for the work. Is there a particular brand/model that's well regarded for this purpose?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you have a USB cable connected, too?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No usb cable plugged in

Check the HDMI settings being output by the camera, and input setting on the monitor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi bubbagutz,

The HDMI output on the EOS 5D Mark II and the EOS 7D were designed for playing back videos and photos you already took on a television. The HDMI output on those cameras wasn't intended for live playback on a field monitor. Since both camera HDMI outputs are being read by a television that indicates the cameras and the cable are working correctly.

The EOS 5D Mark II and original EOS 7D do not have HDMI specific settings. On both of those cameras the output automatically starts once the camera detects an HDMI connection. One thing to check with the monitor is the resolution it is set to. Both of those cameras use HD outputs, so we would recommend setting the monitor the HD resolution. Sometimes if the monitor is set to a different resolution it won't pick up the camera's output.

bubbagutz
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. I contacted the manufacturer of the monitor; they encouraged me to assure I am using an HDMI 2.0 cable, even though the camera can’t send 4k.  Since, I couldn’t remember what rating my cable was (bought it a while ago) I purchased a new cable. It works with the faster cable just fine. The old cable works on some other devices, but I guess its not worthy or camera work. 

Did you purchase a new hdmi mini to hdmi 2.0 or just hdmi 2.0 cable?

How do you like the monitor? Considering pick it up for video work on my dinosaur 7D as well. 

Announcements