cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip makes the R5 inoperative

Pierric
Contributor

My battery Grip BG-R10 makes my R5 camera to freeze from time to time.

The firmware version of the R5 is ver 1.9.0

The only way to get it back to work is to remove the grip and inset the batteries directly in the body.

My Grip is only 6 months old, I use only Genuine Canon batteries LP-E6NH.

They were fully charged when it happened 

This issue have happened 5 times so far on different occasions and its pretty annoying.

Any hints to what I shall do?

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry to hear of your issue, and thanks for telling us about some of the gear you are using.  Other questions.  What memory cards are you using, what lens(es) and are you using and are there any other accessories?  Is the behavior reproduceable?

What are you doing specifically when the "freezing" occurs?  Are you using specific settings, or performing a particular operation.  Is it random?

Have you tried resetting the camera's main and custom settings, then retesting?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I am using Integral Ultima Pro X2 CF Express card 128Mb.

For lenses, I ma using Canon RF 100-500, RF 70-200 f2,8, RF 10-20 f4, RF 28-70 f2,0 etc...

No others accessories.

The behavior is not reproduceable from me doing something but I occurs almost everytime after a while in a day of shooting with the grip so I know my grip won't last the shooting session.

I din't identify a particular cause for this to happen.

I have not resetting the custom settings as it's quite a long time to set it again but I may try if really it could be the cause.

KR

Pierric

“ I am using Integral Ultima Pro X2 CF Express card 128Mb. “

I have never heard of that brand before.  Let me apologize in advance for suggesting that I suspect your memory card could be the issue.  

The brand is not sold by any major Canon dealers like B&H, Adorama, or even Amazon.  The brand is available on the Amazon marketplace, but not through Canon Factory Authorized Dealers.  It is also available all over the eBay marketplace from independent sellers.

I suggest you remove it from the camera and never use it again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This card has been working fine during several years and I don't see why it would be the faulty one when it's actually the. grip that create the issue. As soon as I put the batteries in the body directly with the exact same card it works.
Sorry but your explanations doesn't seem very scientific proof. 

The R5 allows you to save your settings to a memory card.  Use an SD card.

611BB33B-9EEA-4133-81E5-4F986115266A.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Pierric,

Please take note of my colleagues' observations and recommendations.  I asked these questions so we could get a better understanding of the issue you are facing.  Please continue focusing on things you can control.  There is nothing magic about the Integral cards... try with one from a known brand and reputable dealer.  AngelBird, Prograde, SanDisk, Lexar...  Please do not purchase from Amazon.  I use the first 3 I listed above formatted in camera, purchased from B&H.  I've had no issues.  Note, a different card might not solve it, but you have to rule it out.  Begin testing again.  Still happening...  Back up your settings and reset main and custom settings to defaults.  It only takes a minute to back up or restore.  Continue testing.

Do you experience any freezing behavior when the grip is not present?

At this point, I believe you'll be in a better position of knowing where the fault lies.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No as I said there is no freezing when the grip is not on. The camera and card work perfectly fine. 

The issue is when I use the grip and is resolved as soon as I remove the grip.

For the record Integral is a European brand and their card performance is above Lexar.
I also own lexar and sandisk, but Integral have better performance. 

Pierric
Contributor

Again the camera works perfectly fine with this card for several years so nothing wrong with this card.

Only the grip makes the camera freeze. And even when it does, keeping the card in but removing the grip and re-inserting the battery to the body resolve the issue. So the card doesn't have any impact on this issue.
It's easy to blame the messenger rather than Canon on a Canon forum but it doesn't help the cause. I am not the only person to have these problems with the grip sinc eit was released and the others have Lexar or San disk cards.
I actually also have lexar and sandisk SD card and it doesn't resolve the issue

Announcements