cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 not accepting microSDXC card

Dinotophoto
Apprentice

I purchases a eos rebel t7 at brandsmart, bought microSDXC card but camera is not taking it

Why doesn't canon include memory cards? 

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Please use Full Sized SD Cards. Your camera was NOT designed to be used with Micro SD Cards in an adapter. Those cause a lot of problems with Canon cameras. Stick with an SD Card no larger than 32GB (SDHC) Class 10 card. Get a few of them DO NOT buy 1 large SD Card to store all of your pictures. If the card fails all of the pictures are lost. Using multiple smaller SD Cards will make it less likely for you to loose all of your pictures. For some reason lower end cameras have problems with 64GB (SDXC) SD Cards. Those cards will cause the camera to hang or lock up and freeze for no apparent reason. Discontinuing the use of those cards almost always fixes that problem.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It's important to note that any camera can have issues with micro SD cards and adapters unless specifically designed for this media type.  Canon cameras are designed for full size (non-adapted) cards.  These have proven to provide consistent and reliable results, including read/write performance.

Different cards have different specs, storage capacity and performance.  It's not possible to provide a one card fits all scenarios, so Canon and other camera manufacturers allow you to choose based on your intended use and needs.  Hope this helps explain things.  We hope you enjoy your T7.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My reply is pure speculation and conjecture.

The list price for camera bodies at this price point is very competitive.  The retail price for memory cards suited for this camera body can vary in price from $15 ro $30 or even $60.  Adding a memory card to the package would increase the list price 5-10%.  

Also, including memory cards with cameras opens the door to warranty issues associated with the supplied memory cards, which Canon does not even make.  It’s best to not include memory cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Very good points indeed.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Dinotophoto,

The memory card is considered an accessory, and Canon does not include accessories with their cameras, the same way they don't include an extra battery, or lens hoods, or external flashes, etc.

You have to buy those separate.

Steve Thomas

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Waaaay back when, Canon did supply memory cards. I think I got a 16M (yes, M!) card with my A400. The problem is that the cards are increasing in capacity so fast, that any card they put in the box will be obsolete by the time it sells.

I do agree that they should put the type of card required on the box so that you don't get the wrong one.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Toss the adapter and micro card. Others have suggested the quality full size memory cards. Mine are 16GB and 32GB which hold a trainload of photos, even if you use jpg and RAW.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

It sounds like he didn't even try the adapter!

Announcements