cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Mic for Canon Vixia HF r800

BibleWarrior
Contributor

Is there a good microphone that is also affordable for the vixia hf r800? I tried the Comica v30 Light, but it did not work because it doesn't supply phantom power. Is there similar mic that is affordable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

"Phantom power" is a term that goes with balanced, XLR connections, which your camera doesn't have.  The equivalent for unbalanced, 3.5mm connections is called "Plug-in power".  It's worth knowing that these two systems (balanced and unbalanced) are very different, and really not compatible; for example the voltages they use are very different.  So for your camera, make sure to get an unbalanced mic with a 3.5mm plug.

Most cameras supply plug-in power.  Looking at the manual for the r800, it seems that it does not, which is a little unusual.  So you need a mic with a built-in battery.  The manual actually says this.

Good news, there are such mics.  I haven't used any of them myself, so I really can't give any recommendation.  But for example the Rode VideoMic Pro and Deity V-Mic D4 say they take batteries.

If you want to know more about mic connections, I made a video about that: https://moonblink.info/FieldRecording/content/course#Connections

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

"Phantom power" is a term that goes with balanced, XLR connections, which your camera doesn't have.  The equivalent for unbalanced, 3.5mm connections is called "Plug-in power".  It's worth knowing that these two systems (balanced and unbalanced) are very different, and really not compatible; for example the voltages they use are very different.  So for your camera, make sure to get an unbalanced mic with a 3.5mm plug.

Most cameras supply plug-in power.  Looking at the manual for the r800, it seems that it does not, which is a little unusual.  So you need a mic with a built-in battery.  The manual actually says this.

Good news, there are such mics.  I haven't used any of them myself, so I really can't give any recommendation.  But for example the Rode VideoMic Pro and Deity V-Mic D4 say they take batteries.

If you want to know more about mic connections, I made a video about that: https://moonblink.info/FieldRecording/content/course#Connections

Announcements