cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.1-Channel Surround Microphone SM-V1 Settings

ashleyberner
Apprentice

I own an 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone SM-V1. I am using it with a Canon VIXIA HF G40. I am unable to find an in-depth description of the different directional settings... zoom and shotgun. Can you please explain exactly what these two settings are, and what situations they should be used for? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ashleyberner,

Thank you for posting.

When using the "Zoom" setting, the focus of the microphone is linked to the zoom position of the lens.

The "Shotgun" setting is is a highly directional setting. When using this setting, your camcorder's microphone is most sensitive to sound coming from the front of the camcorder.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ashleyberner,

Thank you for posting.

When using the "Zoom" setting, the focus of the microphone is linked to the zoom position of the lens.

The "Shotgun" setting is is a highly directional setting. When using this setting, your camcorder's microphone is most sensitive to sound coming from the front of the camcorder.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

so is shotgun more directional than zoom with the lens zoomed in? Doesn't zoom pick up only from the front, or only shotgun?

Hi robertx,

Both options are picking up the sound in front of the microphone. The shotgun settings is more general setting and zoom the sound range to match the zoom of the lens. If you just want to generally pick up sound in front of the microphone the shotgun setting is the one to use. If you want to have it more specifically narrowed down to the area you've zoomed in on the zoom option is the one to select.

I don't think I get this. The front of the camcorder is 180 degrees out of 360.  A  highly directional setting would seem to be narrower than 180 degrees. Is highly directional more select than just front or back?

Announcements