cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Speedlite Flash will work with my Canon Rebel EOS T3 1100 D?

fraternaltwin57
Contributor

Hi, I am new to the digital age and over 55 years old.  My husband bought me a Canon Rebel EOS T3 1100 D in July.   (I fought the "technological" upgrade until my old Canon film camera quit on me.)  I've been taking pictures since 1966, so I'm not new to photographing, just to our technological advances.

I would so very much appreciate if anyone could help me with which Speedlite flashes will work with my specific Canon T3 Rebel 1100 D camera.  

Thank you so much for your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

onegriff1017
Apprentice

I've just received my 430EX II that I purchased for use with my Rebel T2i. The main reason I purchased the Canon product was....in 60 years of using Canon products I've never had a failure or a bad experience. I've been using the 430EX ll for a few days and I'm quite happy with the results. Far, far better than the built in flash. It's on sale now with free Fed X shipping. That's hard to beat.

Best of luck with your new camera.

Joe

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Scatterbrained
Enthusiast

Well, any of the modern Canon Speedlights, 270/430/580/600.   There are also less expensive 3rd party options like yongnuo, Sigma, Sunpack and Vivitar.    Sigma has their 610, 610 super and 530.  Yongnuo has their 460, 468, 560 and 565.  Sunpak and Vivitar also have quite a few.  A quick way to get a handle on what's out there would be to go to Amazon and search for canon and flash; then you could add the name of each manufacturer to that search to narrow it down a bit.   ETTL flashes are going to be more expensive. If you haven't worked with ETTL yet, it's a way for the flash to "auto meter" what it's output should be and adjust accordingly. 

Hi Scatterbrained,

Thank you so much for your response. I so appreciate your courtesy and the speediness with your reply.

I actually had done google searches asking compatible flash accessories for my specific camera and couldn't find a search that actually said what either of the three of you responded with. "Techno" terms mean little to nothing to me.

I did work with ETTL 10 years ago when I photographed for our small town newspaper here in Austin.   However, I used an older model Speedlite with my "film" Canon camera.

I have been reading up on all the newer Speedlites but couldn't get past some of the language to know if they are compatible with the T3. I so appreciate the time you took to respond.  Thank you so much for your time and courtesy.

Julie

onegriff1017
Apprentice

I've just received my 430EX II that I purchased for use with my Rebel T2i. The main reason I purchased the Canon product was....in 60 years of using Canon products I've never had a failure or a bad experience. I've been using the 430EX ll for a few days and I'm quite happy with the results. Far, far better than the built in flash. It's on sale now with free Fed X shipping. That's hard to beat.

Best of luck with your new camera.

Joe

I'll seconded the recommendation for the Canon 430 EXII. It would be an excellent flash for your T3.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571297-USA/Canon_2805B002_430EX_II_Speedlite_TTL.html

Hi David,

Thank you for seconding the 430 EX II recommendation.   Now that I know unequivically that the Speedlites work with my EOS Rebel T3 camera, because the three of you said they do, I believe I will buy the 430EX II.  Once I master the T3, I can move up to a newer digital . . . I'm guessing a few years.  

I appreciate your website to bhphoto on your response.  That's actually who I buy my Canon lenses from.

Take care and thank you so much for your courtesy.

Julie 

Hi onegriff1017!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!  I sincerely appreciate your input.

I have been researching for the past week on the newer Speedlites, hoping that I would be able to figure out if they are compatible with my T3 1100 D Canon Rebel.  I had been vascillating between the 430EX IIand the 580EX II.  

I have used Speedlite, an older version, with a "film" Canon Rebel 10 years ago when I covered sports for a small town newspaper here in Austin.  

The newer Speedlites definitely have a ton of bells & whistles to learn along with my digital T3 1100 D Rebel.  Not sure I can justify spending the hepfy $516.50 price of the 580EXII.

I'll see if I can find the sale you are referring to with regards to the 430EX II.  

Your using Canon products 60 years, says a lot about their reliability!

Thank you so much for your response.  I am being flooded with calls to photograph families here in Austin by word of mouth.  I'm not a professional, just someone who loves what she sees through the lens of a camera since my first camera in the early 60's, born in '57.  A band posted my photos in a collage on their new album cover on FB two days ago, and that's when all the calls started.  I shot their cover without an external flash, really just practicing with my T3.   So, I'm excited to soak up and learn as much as I can with my first digital camera ever, the T3:)

Your courtesy and time are appreciated.  Take care.

Julie

Announcements