cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using off camera flash (canon) and all of sudden it starts overexposing

veronikapatty
Apprentice

A41Z8744.JPGA41Z8745.JPG

Here is an example of what's happening. I have the flash off camera everything is all set, nothing was changed between these two shots, from no where the flash starts to overexpose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What mode do you have the flash in (manual, ETTL, etc.)?

Do you perhaps have high speed sync disabled and were attempting to use a fast shutter speed? (camera would limit itself to the sync speed which could account for the overexposure)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have to check, but it works fine and then it does not. I didn't change anything between those two shots. 

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, vernoikapatty!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model and Speedlite model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It looks like you are shooting in an athletic arena and the fast flicker of high intensity discharge or LED lighting may be the cause of this intermittent overexposure.  I primarily shoot sports and it is one of the issues you face under this type of lighting; probably your over-exposure corresponded with peak light output from the arena lighting coupled with your flash providing output based upon a light reading taken just as the exposure was about to be tripped before the arena lighting reached its cyclical peak output.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

zakslm
Enthusiast

Forgive me if this is rudimentary and/or you have already done this.  Have you checked to see if the flash exposure compensation is at 0 on the flash unit and in the camera settings?  You didn't say which flash you were using or the camera you were using, but I don't think knowing that information would change my suggestion.

What I would do on the camera is "Clear all Camera Setting", "Clear all Custom Functions" and "Clear all Flash Setting" (with the flash attached and powered on).  Then  on the flash unit, make sure the flash is set to 0 Flash exposure compensation, full power (1/1) and clear all custom functions.  In other words, put the camera and the flash in "neutral" first. 

Then take a test shot with the flash on camera and see what happens.  If that looks good, then try you off camera flash setup and see what happens.  

Good luck!

Announcements