cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite Recommendation for EOS R6 Mark ii

JeroneKingsby
Enthusiast

Please reccomend a Speed-light  for my R6 mark ii, that will be Easy to install and Use, Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My vote is the Canon EL-5.  Perfect match for any camera with a multi-purpose hot shoe.

Speedlite EL-5 (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Ricky.  Stick with Canon.  The EL-5 will be worth the wait.  If you want something now, anything 430 EX III - RT (2008 or later) and above will work.  

This may also help.

Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 (canon.com)

3rd party gear may not work, even if adapted with the above.  

The 430 EX III - RT can be had refurbished directly from Canon. This can get you over the hump and is slightly less expensive than the Godox.  Except for batteries, I don't use 3rd party gear any longer either.  Its not an issue  with older gear (DSLR's) but with newer MILC body's, 3rd party gear can often lead to compatibility challenges, compromise or grief.

Shop Canon Refurbished Speedlite 430EX III-RT | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Any of Canon's own speedlites would be a great addition to your camera.  I would though highly recommend units capable of radio control (units have RT in their model numbers).  This will let you do more complicated setups if moving the flash off-camera.  i.e. you don't always have to have line-of-sight.

The RT units are also scalable in that you can add more over time.

Personally, I started out with an older 400-series speedlite along with short cable to do some limited off-camera flash work.  When I moved to my full frame DSLRs though, I purchased Canon's kit at the time that provided two 600 EX RT flashes along with the ST-E3-RT transmitter.   Then I was hooked; adding more units over time.

You could definitely do the same multi-flash setups with the 400 series.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That's a lot of Great information, Thank you

if you were to recommend the latest and greatest, for my R6 Mark II, that will be easy to set-up and Use, give me One Speed-light  that will put me above the crowd ... I'm ready to purchase Today ... 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My vote is the Canon EL-5.  Perfect match for any camera with a multi-purpose hot shoe.

Speedlite EL-5 (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Release date, March 2023 ... I will definitely purchas the EL-5. What do you recommend until then? I hear the GODOX V860iii, ( if that's not taboo to talk about here ), may be great for the R6 Mark II ... what's your take on that?

Personally, I don't use any third-party parts with my Canon gear.  I really like Canon's integration and realibility when using all Canon parts.

Having said that, it really depends upon what your goals are.  Are you wanting a single flash?  Or do you plan to to work with two or more off camera flash units? If the former, you may want to consider the EL-1 which has a much higher guide number than the EL-5.  If the latter, make sure you budget accordingly; e.g. it would be quite costly to have multiple EL-1 units.  Unless you need the extra power, multiple EL-5 units would be a good choice to keep costs down.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi Ricky, if I'm reading the specs for the EL-1 and EL-5 correctly, the guide numbers are the same.

I think the EL-5 would be the best choice for the R6II to take advantage of the multifunction hotshoe. Unless of course you need extended rapid fire shooting.

IMG_20230103_181037.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Ricky.  Stick with Canon.  The EL-5 will be worth the wait.  If you want something now, anything 430 EX III - RT (2008 or later) and above will work.  

This may also help.

Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 (canon.com)

3rd party gear may not work, even if adapted with the above.  

The 430 EX III - RT can be had refurbished directly from Canon. This can get you over the hump and is slightly less expensive than the Godox.  Except for batteries, I don't use 3rd party gear any longer either.  Its not an issue  with older gear (DSLR's) but with newer MILC body's, 3rd party gear can often lead to compatibility challenges, compromise or grief.

Shop Canon Refurbished Speedlite 430EX III-RT | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Canonphan
Apprentice

Will an older speedlight 580 ex ii still work?  The manual says you have to get the hot shoe adapter.  I saw online interview by Canon staff that you can still use any speedlight but you lose the weather seal without the adapter.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Based on what I've read, the 580ex II should work (direct mount) without the adapter.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements