cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX II Compatibility with EOS R6 Mark II?

mercator
Contributor

I am looking to buy a second hand flat (as I am normally outside in bright sunshine or in a studio with studio lights) and 430EX II have become very affordable. I was wondering if the 430EX II will work with the Mark II version of the Canon R6 - including TTL - and if the the Canon R6 Mark II's flash menu will work? Will I face any limitations?

Helmut
Canon R6 Mark II lover with a few RF and EF, Lensbabies and Loreo 3D lenses
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Yes the 430EX II is fully compatible with your camera. It's fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. Note the IR AF Assist Beam IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras. The speedlite will switch to Intermittent Flash Firing (IFF) to assist the camera's AF system in low light. But depending on the ambient lighting. The camera body may emit an LED AF Assist Beam. The camera must to One Shot AF. The AF Assist Beam enabled in the camera and the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon : Compatible Accessories : Flash Units (start.canon)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, I have seen that page. I have also an old EX380 that works (but not with the built in menu) and I have also noticed that for other Rx models, some of the older flashes that are not mentioned actually work. That is why I am asking as the list does not seem to be complete. So, if anyone use the 430EX II or a 580EX (II) version, I'd be happy to hear what works and what not.

Helmut

Only weather speedlites require an adapter. Old speedlites like the 380EX are partially compatible with the in camera flash menu. To set rear curtain sync, FEC & flash firing.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Yes the 430EX II is fully compatible with your camera. It's fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. Note the IR AF Assist Beam IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras. The speedlite will switch to Intermittent Flash Firing (IFF) to assist the camera's AF system in low light. But depending on the ambient lighting. The camera body may emit an LED AF Assist Beam. The camera must to One Shot AF. The AF Assist Beam enabled in the camera and the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

Would you by chance know if the the 580EX II would work as well? That number (580) is not listed at all on the R6 Mark II compatibility page. Thanks lot.

Helmut

All weather sealed speedlites 580EX II, 600EX/ 600EX II-RT, & EL-1 require the AD-E1 hot shoe adapter. They are otherwise compatible. They are also fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. The original 580EX IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the in camera flash menu. All of Canon EX or EL model speedlites are compatible. Speedlites released prior to the 430EX II, 580EX II & the original 270EX. Are NOT COMPATIBLE with the in camera flash menu.

-Demetrius

The AD-E1 hot shoe adapter is only required if I want to maintain the weather sealing of the flash, right... which would not matter as I do not intend to use in the rain?

Helmut

Found the answer: https://insider.kelbyone.com/review-canon-multi-function-shoe-adapter-ad-e1/ only needed to retain weather sealing it seems.

Helmut

The 550EX and the original 580EX DO NOT have weather sealing.

-Demetrius

Announcements