cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-Up Flash for EOS 6D Mark II

crematoriumcat
Apprentice

Hi! I recently switched from a Canon Rebel T7 to a Canon Mark II 6D and I miss my built in flash on the rebel so much! It was perfect in size and power and I loved how it could just pop up and go back in. I was wondering if there's any sort of flash I could get similar for my mark ii? I've tried a typical speedlite but deemed it unusable because it was crazy bright even on the lowest setting and also HUGE and way too bulky for me to carry around. Please help I miss my cute little popup flash 😞 Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

All of Canon's full-frame cameras (DSLRs and R-Series MILCs) have no pop-up flash.  So you'll need to use a speedlite.

The smallest still sold by Canon would be the 430EX III-RT.  Though they did make smaller units like the 270EX II which you can still pick up used (e.g. at Adorama) and probably other authorized Canon resellers.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can find one, a Canon 90EX flash is very small and similar in size to a Rebel's pop-up flash. They are not being made anymore, but you should be able to find one used.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

All of Canon's full-frame cameras (DSLRs and R-Series MILCs) have no pop-up flash.  So you'll need to use a speedlite.

The smallest still sold by Canon would be the 430EX III-RT.  Though they did make smaller units like the 270EX II which you can still pick up used (e.g. at Adorama) and probably other authorized Canon resellers.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

thank you so much ! you’re response was very helpful 🙂

Also the R7 lacks a built in flash too. So an external speedlite is required for flash photography.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What "typical speedlite" did you use? What mode did you use? They should all be able to throttle back to whatever the rebel was putting out. You can also use ND gels to lower the light output.

Of course, you can also set the flash exposure:

Untitled.jpg

Oh, and please don't tell us what you are taking pictures of...

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can find one, a Canon 90EX flash is very small and similar in size to a Rebel's pop-up flash. They are not being made anymore, but you should be able to find one used.

thank you so much ! i’ll be sure to look 🙂

Danfaz
Enthusiast

The EL-100 is available at Adorama, B&H, Best Buy, etc. It's the smallest speedlite in current production. Not as small as a pop-up flash, but tiny as far as speedlites go.

Announcements