cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numbers after Zoom 430EX

PauleyB
Contributor

430EX (original)

I think my 430EX is somewhat broken.  An earlier thread detailed how the c.fn settings always show a 1 and can't be visibly changed, but they do seem to be set properly internally.

This problem is the number after the Zoom text.  As I zoom-in the lens, it starts at something that looks like 2'.  As I zoom in on the lens, it changes to 2C, then 3C, then 5C, and then 7C.  Note that on 3C the bottom left segment of the LCD number is off, so it is not a full C.  I have a Sigma 17-70mm lens, so I'm assuming those are mapping to the focal length as I zoom.

It seems like I should be seeing some sort of mm range.  Page 19 of the manual clearly shows 50mm.  The little mm text is not displayed.  I see the same sequence of numbers regardless of my flash being set for m or ft. 

Bonus question, and why I started looking in the manual the first time was that when I have zoomed out the most the zoom says 2' and the 2' is flashing.  I assume it is trying to tell me that the flash may not be powerful enough for that range, but I can't seem to find that documented.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, your display is malfunctioning. It should say 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm.  I would not use the flash even though it appears to work otherwise. The 430EX is an older flash unit that is not compatible with the camera’s flash menu. That means all setting adjustments must be made using the LCD flash display. Without a working flash display it will be near impossible to use the flash as designed. 

I would upgrade to a 430EX II, 430EX III, 580EX II, or 600EX. Using the camera’s built-in flash menu will make using the flash much easier and you will be able to get much more out of your flash. 

Here are some examples of what the in camera flash menu looks like.

10457B3C-9A8A-4D97-93D6-8E3F7FFAE87C.png

B3130C89-2D45-4F1A-B4BB-21FB32629F76.png

E2E191ED-8EFD-481F-AE40-E8C589534E87.png

8BEFC5F3-7781-45AF-B021-89ABFC25739D.png

F4E97D45-C989-4F8D-9B08-EE48C5025CAB.png

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

The LCD display is on its way out. So it could be difficult to adjust settings. I would look into a new speedlite. New speedlites can be controlled from the "Speedlite Control Menu". Via the camera's menu screen without going through the speedlite. Your current speedlite is incompatible with the speedlite control menu. Even though the speedlite works. I wouldn't trust it during an event.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If your not using direct flash the zoom indicator on the speedlite displays --mm. This is because the camera doesn't know the distance between the camera and the subject. Take a picture of the display and post it in the forum so other forum users can see what's going on. The speedlite focal length mm will blink if a lens is too wide. Such as using a wide angle 16mm lens on a Full Frame camera. The speedlite can't cover that large of an angle. The speedlite also can account for the 1.6x crop when an APS-C lens is used. The speedlite should indicate auto cropping is in effect. The lens you posted is an APS-C lens meaning the camera is auto cropping it. To avoid vignetting black areas in all 4 corners.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thanks for your help, again.  I'm thinking the panel is just broken, somehow, but here is a pic of a few of the zoom distances I am seeing.

Flash Zoom Question.jpg

The LCD display is on its way out. So it could be difficult to adjust settings. I would look into a new speedlite. New speedlites can be controlled from the "Speedlite Control Menu". Via the camera's menu screen without going through the speedlite. Your current speedlite is incompatible with the speedlite control menu. Even though the speedlite works. I wouldn't trust it during an event.

-Demetrius

Thanks, again, Demetrius.

I guess I'm in the prosumer range, so no paid events to mess up; however, the external flash has proved itself invaluable in so many of my shots, that I do want one I can rely on.  I'm not sure how/when this broke, but I noticed it when I got a new camera and was relearning some things.

Off to go shopping!

Do you have a budget to spend on a new speedlite. A great upgrade from your current speedlite is the 430EX III-RT. This speedlite is compatible with the speedlite control menu. Making changes to settings easier to do in the camera vs the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

I was looking at the 430EX III-RT.  I was curious about the 580EX and 600EX but they seem discontinued. I also see some of the Godox and Yungnuo alternatives.  I didn't realize there were non-Canon speedlites, but I guess it makes sense.  I haven't been able to determine if they can also have their registers set with the camera - that's something I'd like to ensure I get.  I can't complain about the Canon quality since that flash lasted a long time (and seems to still be working, in a way), so I'll likely still get the Canon 430EX III-RT for the known quality and it's within my budget.

If your talking about the original 580EX it is NOT compatible with the speedlite control menu. You can look into the 600EX II-RT it has all of the same feature as the 600EX-RT. The 600EX II-RT is also similar to the older 580EX II. But it adds wireless radio trigger for off camera speedlites. 3rd party speedlites are hit and miss when it comes to compatibility. They may work fine on your old camera but on a new one it may not work correctly. There are 3rd party speedlites that can be controlled via the speedlite control menu. But this is dependent on the manufacturer of the speedlite. Only Canon can guarantee 100% functionality of there products. 3rd Parties can't because things change. Here are some pictures of what the 600EX II-RT offers when attached to a camera that supports the speedlite control menu.

Flash Function Settings screenFlash Function Settings screenFlash metering mode (settable options vary on speedlite)Flash metering mode (settable options vary on speedlite)Wireless Flash Function (for off camera speedlites) If the speedlite supports sender flash capabilityWireless Flash Function (for off camera speedlites) If the speedlite supports sender flash capabilityZoom coverageZoom coverageFlash SynchronizationFlash SynchronizationFlash Exposure Compensation (FEC) Works with all speedlites regardless of compatibility with Speedlite Control MenuFlash Exposure Compensation (FEC) Works with all speedlites regardless of compatibility with Speedlite Control MenuFlash Exposure Bracketing (FEB) Only settable from the camera menu on the 580EX II, 600EX/ 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT & EL-1Flash Exposure Bracketing (FEB) Only settable from the camera menu on the 580EX II, 600EX/ 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT & EL-1

-Demetrius

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, your display is malfunctioning. It should say 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm.  I would not use the flash even though it appears to work otherwise. The 430EX is an older flash unit that is not compatible with the camera’s flash menu. That means all setting adjustments must be made using the LCD flash display. Without a working flash display it will be near impossible to use the flash as designed. 

I would upgrade to a 430EX II, 430EX III, 580EX II, or 600EX. Using the camera’s built-in flash menu will make using the flash much easier and you will be able to get much more out of your flash. 

Here are some examples of what the in camera flash menu looks like.

10457B3C-9A8A-4D97-93D6-8E3F7FFAE87C.png

B3130C89-2D45-4F1A-B4BB-21FB32629F76.png

E2E191ED-8EFD-481F-AE40-E8C589534E87.png

8BEFC5F3-7781-45AF-B021-89ABFC25739D.png

F4E97D45-C989-4F8D-9B08-EE48C5025CAB.png

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike.  Yes, I have felt a little disappointed that my flash can't fully talk to my camera.  I'll be looking for a new flash.

Announcements