cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 + Speedlight 470EX infrared?

PauFerrer
Apprentice

Hello, I cant get to make proper focus in the dark with my new R8 and the speedlight I had (the 470EX-AI). In the other canon the flash sends the infrared to help with the focus, but now with the R8 it doesn´t. The camera has a little red light to help with the focus, but it´s quite tinny and it doesn´t make the job done in very open and dark places.
anyone with some help for this issue? 

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The IR AF Assist Beam from speedlites is NOT COMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras. The speedlite will automatically switch to Intermittent Flash Firing. Make sure the AF Assist Beam is set to enable in the camera body NOT LED. Then make sure the AF Assist Beam is enabled on the speedlite. As a test put the lens cap on and make sure the camera is set to One Shot AF. The speedlite's AF Assist Beam will automatically switch to Intermittent Flash Firing. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Note AF Assist Beam projection by the camera body or speedlite is dependent on the Ambient lighting. None of Canon's speedlites use IR light. If it really was IR we couldn't see it. But it's visible red light. Note speedlites such as the 430EX III/III-RT, 470EX-AI and EL-1. Automatically switches to Intermittent Flash Firing on EOS R series cameras. Regardless of the AF Assist Beam projection setting set on the speedlite. All that setting does is of the speedlite is set to Intermittent Flash Firing and color filter or flash diffuser is attached. The camera body emits an LED AF Assist Beam. Since Intermittent Flash Firing is DISABLED when a color filter or flash diffuser is attached. The guide number of the speedlite is reduced.

1000005685.png

1000005687.png

1000005686.png

1000005688.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements