cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 580EX Flash will not fire. Being shot on a Canon 5D Mark III.

PhotoExpression
Apprentice

The light  does not start out green and stays red on the 580EX Flash. It doesn't even go into a sleep mode when not activated for a length of time.  Fresh batteries does not make a difference.  It will allow me to change settings but it won't fire. The infra-red displays it's test light but the flash will not discharge even when it demands it.  It is not on slave or wireless settings.  Nothing makes the flash go off, even the test flash.

13 REPLIES 13

amfoto1
Authority

First, the red light on the flash indicates it's ready to fire. It goes off when the flash is recycling.

That "pilot" light also is a test button... Turn the flash on and as soon as it lights up, press it. If the flash fires, then it's likely the flash is fine.

Next, check in your camera menu... is Flash Firing (which might be in a Flash Setup group on a later camera model) set to "enabled"? Silly little thing, I know... but it happens. Don't ask me how I know! Smiley Surprised

Also check the flash is fully mounted in the hot shoe. The locking lever will not go all the way to the latched position, if the flash isn't fully seated in the shoe. The locking lever actuates a small pin on the flash's foot, that fits into a corresponding hole in the hot shoe, both to insure the flash is fully in place and to secure it there.

If all the above checks out okay, another possibility is the camera's exposure mode. Now, personally I don't use them so can't say for certain, but assuming your camera even has them, maybe some of the more automated "scene modes" such as the "running man" for sports, etc. prevent the flash from firing.

Again, I'm not certain how the flash will perform in those modes... But you should use Av, Tv, P or M to test the flash anyway. In the auto exposure modes Av, Tv and P, the flash will fire at reduced output, as FILL light. In the manual M mode, it will fire FULL, as the main light source. Often when firing as fill with reduced output the red light of the flash doesn't go out with a single shot... I often can get 2 or 3 pops out of it before the light goes out and the flash goes into recycle mode for a few seconds.

Is it possible the flash actually is firing, but as fill so it's not a very strong output and it doen't need to go into recycle mode? You might not see the flash, if it's at reduced power and you have your eye to the viewfinder (which blacks out momentarily during the short duration of the exposure). Usually you hear the flash "pop", but if shooting somewhere with a lot of background noise, might not even be able to hear that.  

Finally, are you trying to use the flash wirelessly? If so, then there are a number of possibilities. First, the flash needs to be set as "slave". Next, the camera's on-board flash needs to be popped up to act as the controller. Also, the flash and camera need to be set to a matching channel or group. Also, the flash may need to be rotated so that the red pane on the front is facing the camera. Plus wireless flash control is optical, so is "line-of-sight" only. And it's reach is rather limited.

Some of these suggestions may have already occured to you. If so, great! I don't know your level of experience with the flash or what camera you are using, so am just throwing out possibilities that occur to me. I hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

PhotoExpression
Apprentice

Alan:

Thank you for your detailed explanations when not knowing my skill level or equipment that was being used with the flash.  I guess I should have put more detail into my dilemna but that often confuses people.  I have been a sports photographer for 9 years since I retired from a job that the camera was used often. 

The flash is on a Canon 5D Mark III. The flash setting is enabled in the camera settings.  The flash is sitting correctly on the shoe.  When the flash is turned on, it goes straight to red and the red light does not go out. Normally it starts out green then goes to red. Often if the camera or flash has not been activated, the red light will go into a sleep mode until activated again.  That is not happening.    I have physically watched the reaction of the flash when the shutter is depressed to confirm the flash is not flashing.  The infared light flashes to test for the amount of light but yet even in a situation that demands a flash to react, it does not fire.  It is not on a slave setting or being used wirelessly.  I have changed batteries, rebooted the system and I get the same response. 

I have never experienced this before and it has me totally confused as to what the problem is.  I have had this unit for years without any problems until now.  I even tried using the flash on my 1D Mark IIN and it still wouldn't fire.  I suspect that there is an internal problem but was hoping other's suggestions might help eleveate the problem.  Now that you know more of the story, if you have any further suggestions, I am open to them.  Again, thank you for your response.   Chris

I'm having the indentical problem & Canon support says it's probably my bulb. 

simplyouphoto wrote:

The bulb isn't a user-replaceable item, is it? If it's an original 580EX and the problem is the bulb, it may not be worth the repair cost. My experience, FWIW, has been that the newer 600EX-RT is not only more powerful, but much more reliable than the 580EX.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have the 580 EX II. It's still valuable  but the new version is about $500. You can kill yourself replacing the bulb on your own unless you're a skilling electrician. I'm not willing to take that chance.

After calling Canon, that's what I've decided to upgrade to the new flash. It'd be a minimum repair cost of $175 + shipping back & forth & a rental in the meantime. I'm simply going to upgrade. This also means that I'll need to upgrade my ST-E2 transmitter as well. $$$$ Spending money is so easy to do in this business! 

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@simplyouphoto wrote:

The bulb isn't a user-replaceable item, is it? If it's an original 580EX and the problem is the bulb, it may not be worth the repair cost. My experience, FWIW, has been that the newer 600EX-RT is not only more powerful, but much more reliable than the 580EX.

The 600EX actually has the same 'power' as the 580EX. The difference in the guide number is because of the reflector zoom range is longer on the 600EX than the 580EX. With the reflectors set the same the guide number is the same. i.e. at 105mm the 600EX has the same 58 meter guide number as the 580EX.

I decided that the bulb was burned out & not worth the repair cost. I replaced it with the new Canon flash. It works awesome! I still have the issue with it flashing at a rapid speed at random moments & then I have to wait before the camera is usable again but since both flashes did this, I"m guessing it's user error. 

@simplyouphoto wrote:

I decided that the bulb was burned out & not worth the repair cost. I replaced it with the new Canon flash. It works awesome! I still have the issue with it flashing at a rapid speed at random moments & then I have to wait before the camera is usable again but since both flashes did this, I"m guessing it's user error. 

The flashing at rapid speed at random moments sounds like focus assist. If you have a flash that has IR focus assist like the 580EX and this is occurring it sounds like a settings issue. Lower end flashes starting with the 320EX I believe strobe their flash for focus assist. 

What model is your new flash?

The rapid pulse of flash that provides near-continuous light is typically activated by pressing the depth-of-field preview button on the camera (the location of that button varies by model.)  It's usually on the front of the camera body very close to the lens mount. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements