cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best external flash for EOS Rebel T7

footballmama
Contributor

Best external flash for Canon Rebel T7?

For indoor pictures and ambient/dusk lighting.

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What's your budget for a speedlite. All of Canon's EX & EL speedlites are compatible with your camera. Except for the new EL-5 it's designed to work with certain EOS R series cameras. I would recommend a newer model so it can make use of the in camera flash menu. Which makes it easier to learn. Older speedlites such as the 220EX, 380EX, 420EX, 430EX original, 550EX & 580EX original. Are NOT COMPATIBLE with the in camera flash. They'll still work fine on a newer camera. It will be a little more tricky to use a beginner. These older speedlites that have an LCD. All setting changes except for Flash Exposure Compensation will have to be set on the speedlite. Flash Exposure Compensation can be set on the speedlite or the camera. If Flash Exposure is set on both the camera and the speedlite. The speedlite overrides the camera setting. 

• EL-100 (entry level)
  • 430EX III-RT (mid range) 
  • EL-1 (professional)

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

zakslm
Enthusiast

I agree with Demetrius and would like to expand on what he said. 

Any compatible Canon speedlite will work very well to excellent on your camera.  The only sacrifce in using an older speedlite is the lack of the ability to set some of the more advanced functions of the Speedlite from the camera's flash menu.  Those functions have to be set on the flash itself and cannot be set on the camera.  For instance, if you want to use high speed sync, it must be set on the flash.  With newer speedlites, I think that settings can be set from the camera's flash menu.  Also, the newer flashes have a convenient lever to lock them in place where the older ones require turning a wheel to screw them down tightly.  Clearing all the settings and returning the flash to default settings can be easily done on the camera's flash menu for new speedlites.   

I have a T7 and was looking for an external speedlite shortly after I got the camera.  I looked into other brands of flashes that I saw on Amazon and at other online retailers but having used and trusted Canon speedlites years ago when I shot film, I decided to look for a Canon speedlite.  I came across a lightly used 430EX at a price that I couldn't pass up so I bought it and I am satisfied with my purchase.  it works great and my results are very nice.

footballmama
Contributor

of course Best Buy doesnt have the canon one in stock and I want it for tonight.

Anyone know anything about this one?

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per Community guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

footballmama
Contributor

Or the more expensive version

2.JPG

[Commercial link removed per Community guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

B&H Photo has the EL-100 430EX III-RT in stock currently. Always stick with Canon Authorized Dealers. If you buy Gray Market equipment there is NO warranty. Canon can refuse to repair Gray Market equipment. Also if your camera lacks the center pin on the hot shoe. 3rd Party speedlites WILL NOT WORK. So you'll have to use a Canon speedlite.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

footballmama
Contributor

I want it fo tonight though so it is one of these two options!

If your camera lacks the center pin on the hot shoe you cannot use a 3rd Party speedlite. It WILL NOT FIRE. Look into a Canon authorized dealer before you make any purchases. A local camera shop may have what you're looking for. Canon has a list of Authorized Dealers on its website. Also stay away from any type of online marketplaces. 

d8AAQ.png

-Demetrius

footballmama
Contributor

Thank you so much!

Here is a link to a list of Canon Authorized Dealers list.The EL-100 430EX III-RT would cover all of your needs. Is your camera not locking focus in low light? Or is the built-in flash not powerful enough. If the camera is NOT locking focus in low light. It can provide an AF Assist Beam. To aid the camera's AF system in low light and low contrast situations. 

-Demetrius

Announcements