cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX II fires full power only on some flash triggers (but not on others)

icefeatherwind
Contributor
My 580EX II fires only in full power when connected to some of my Yongnuo YN622C II transponders.

I have four transponders and the 622C-TX transmitter as well. The 580 works fine, ETTL all good and exposing properly, on one of the four 622s, and when on the hotshoe of my 1100D, 400D, 700D and 7DII. But when on one of the other three 622s, the 580 will only fire full power (which generally results in a white-out over-exposure). When on these 622 the 580 is not getting info from the camera (e.g. Changing the zoom on the 622C-TX does nothing to the 580).

I have a 430EX II and it works fine, in ETTL, everything as expected, on all four of the 622 transponders. The transponders all send info to the 430 as well when they are on the hotshot of the camera.

It seems to me that there has to be something wrong with the 580. But WHAT? Given that it works fine when on a camera and works fine on ONE of the 622s but not the other three...? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

icefeatherwind
Contributor

Final update on the problem: It was the Yongnuo triggers at fault. My Godox triggers and transmitter arrived today and they work perfectly with the 580EX II as expected in ETTL (and the 430EX II works perfectly too). For some reason there is something about the YN triggers that was at fault... what, exactly, I will never know. But Godox solved the problem 🙂 Very happy!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What kind of batteries are you using?

icefeatherwind
Contributor
AA alkaline batteries (Duracell brand). The non-rechargable kind.

icefeatherwind
Contributor
(I tried fresh batteries in everything, didn't seem to work...)

diverhank
Authority

It seems obvious to me that the 622C-TX is at fault.  I'd try loading the latest firmware for it and try again.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

icefeatherwind
Contributor
The 580 still has the same problem when there is a 622 on the hotshoe and a 622 under the flash so I don't think it's the 622C-TX. I will update the firmware though anyway.

@icefeatherwindwrote:
The 580 still has the same problem when there is a 622 on the hotshoe and a 622 under the flash so I don't think it's the 622C-TX. I will update the firmware though anyway.

Still true since I suspect the 622 under the flash is not communicating correctly to the 580.  Hopefully a firmware change will solve this problem.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Ok, I tried updating the firmware. Results: not good 😞

All four 622s (including the single one that worked with the 580) were already at the latest firmware I could find, which is V1.05 (http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=364). I tried updating anyway in case somehow all of them have faulty firmware. No change from updating 622s to V1.05 (note they all already were V1.05).

I then went for a 622-TX update. Weirdly, the "latest" firmware on the YN site is V1.11 but on my TX, it was showing as V1.13. With great trepidation I downgraded it to 1.11 from the YN site (http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=348)... aaaaaaaand now the WORKING 622 is NOT working under the 580 :'( Bit devestated since I've got no way to go back to V1.13 for which the working 622 was getting info from the TX. Sadfaaaaaaaaace

The working 622 is still being correctly triggered in ETTL by the other 622s when I use another 622 on the camera hotshoe instead of the TX.

So I have some kind of 580 problem and also a TX problem? I am so confused.

@icefeatherwindwrote:

Ok, I tried updating the firmware. Results: not good 😞

All four 622s (including the single one that worked with the 580) were already at the latest firmware I could find, which is V1.05 (http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=364). I tried updating anyway in case somehow all of them have faulty firmware. No change from updating 622s to V1.05 (note they all already were V1.05).

I then went for a 622-TX update. Weirdly, the "latest" firmware on the YN site is V1.11 but on my TX, it was showing as V1.13. With great trepidation I downgraded it to 1.11 from the YN site (http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=348)... aaaaaaaand now the WORKING 622 is NOT working under the 580 :'( Bit devestated since I've got no way to go back to V1.13 for which the working 622 was getting info from the TX. Sadfaaaaaaaaace

The working 622 is still being correctly triggered in ETTL by the other 622s when I use another 622 on the camera hotshoe instead of the TX.

So I have some kind of 580 problem and also a TX problem? I am so confused.

I'd try asking about the phantom V1.13 firmware on a Yongnuo forum or in the Q&A list for the tranceiver on the B&H Web site. At least they might be able to get you back to where you were.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

icefeatherwind
Contributor
Ok thanks, I will try and find it.
Announcements