cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoo Images

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

In a period of travel and movement restrictions, it is hard to keep up my wildlife photography.  The local zoo has reopened and at least I can keep my hand in and enjoy some outside time.

The NZ Tuatara predates the dinosaurs, dating back over 250 million years.  Not only is it unique to NZ, but it has some unique biological features: for example, the young have a third, proto-eye located high up between the arches of the two conventional eyes.   It is absorbed back into the body upon maturity.  It's believed that this was a protective measure so that the young could sense the presence of predatory birds.

Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105L@ 89mm, f/4, 1/100sec, ISO-2500, hand-held
_61_1543 LR copy.jpg

The Red Panda is one of the hardest animals to view - in the wild or at the zoo.  There they tend to be secluded almost all of the time behind or within the trees.  I was lucky to catch this one as it was peeking out to see when it was going to get fed.
Canon EOS R5, RF 100-500L@ 500mm, f/8, 1/640sec, ISO-5000, hand-held
R5012344 LR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Nice. I am trying to remember if I got any red panda photos when I was at the Nanjing zoo.

Favorite fun fact: Tuatara's are *not* lizards.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Absolutely correct! {:-D  Glad you are aware!!!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

The lizard doesn't look that old.🤔 We learn something every day. We have a red panda at the Warner Park Zoo, Chattanooga, Tennessee.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I checked, and while the Nanjing Zoo had red pandas, I did not get any good shots with my A400. (My first digital camera!)

Did get some interesting shots of a Liger, though!

Announcements