cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New EOS R6 MkII is a BEAST!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I got this body about 10 days ago, but only had a chance to take my first photos with it today.  As is my want, I went to the local zoo and to give it a good workout I connected it to the awesome RF 100-500L IS USM.

Here are some results from that, all hand-held, available light, minimal PP, but seriously downsized, of course.

This Gouldian Finch is an Aussie bird from the Northern Territory.  It is TINY and, like most small birds, is very active, so getting a shot of it was challenging, but I got 3 out of 4 to work.  Points for the focus and tracking!

These birds are known for their beautiful adult plumage, turning a mix of reds, greens and yellows. The chests of the male birds are bright purple and the females a paler mauve, allowing them to be sexed easily.

Gouldian finches are near threatened in the wild due to habitat loss in the northern territories of Australia and poaching for the illegal pet trade. These grass-eating birds are particularly vulnerable to seed shortages as a result of fires and grazing in the savanna woodland areas they inhabit.

500mm, f/8, 1/800sec, ISO-5000500mm, f/8, 1/800sec, ISO-5000500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400

An Australian Lace Monitor basks in the sun.

Lace monitors are the second largest monitor lizard in Australia and are among the largest lizards in the world.  They are related to the massive Komodo Dragon from Indonesia which can be up to 3m (10ft) long.  Lace Monitors average 1.5m in length, and they can grow up to 2m. The length of their tail is used for balance when climbing, as a whip for defence, for swimming, and for posturing to rival lace monitors!

Lace monitors have a forked tongue like snakes - this is an adaptation to further enhance their highly developed combined senses of smell and taste. As they flick their tongue in and out, it collects molecules that are transferred to the Jacobson’s organ via two little pits in the roof of their mouth. This sense is so good, they can tell the difference between prey items from a long distance and in which direction they lie, whether another lace monitor in the area is male or female, and whether it is a resident or non-resident to the area. Imagine being able to know all that with your tongue!

As well as a great sense of smell and taste, they have excellent vision and acute hearing.

200mm, f/5, 1/200sec, ISO-400200mm, f/5, 1/200sec, ISO-400

It would be impossible for me to visit the zoo without a few shots of my favourite NZ bird, the fabulous Kea. The cheeky, inquisitive nature of the world's only mountain parrot is well-known throughout New Zealand.

Highly intelligent and social, having a level of intelligence equivalent to a primate.  They learn from their parents and from experience and mate for life. They love the challenge of taking things apart, which can be a problem if they take a liking to your car or motorbike!  They can undo bolts and screws, remove rubber from wipers and seals, undo tire pressure caps and deflate them.

To keep their minds and bodies stimulated, the keepers present their food in unusual ways, such as hidden underground, in a box of stones and leaves or dangling from a branch.

324mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-1000324mm, f/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO-1000400mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-2000400mm, f/6.3, 1/400sec, ISO-2000500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400500mm, f/7.1, 1/400sec, ISO-6400

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
12 REPLIES 12

All good, Joey!
The eye tracking on the R-series bodies is arguably the best around right now.  I shoot predominantly wildlife, so this is manna to me!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ccanada
Community Manager
Community Manager

Very thoughtful post! Thank you for sharing.

My pleasure.  This is a great camera and a great lens!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements