cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tête-à-Tête

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I am unashamedly a wildlife photographer, and as such love both animals and the gear that lets me get up close and personal with them.   The arrival of the Canon RF 200-800 is a significant change in the latter: not only for its reach, but for the sharpness of the lens that allows me to crop even further.
The following two images were taken hand-held and cropped in post to get the isolation and composition I really wanted.
Give that Zebra are evolved so that by standing together their strips created a disruptive pattern that confuses predators, it can also be a challenge to capture, and the classic image is one of a line of such animals at a water hole.  Until I can get that one, these will have to do...

Canon R6II, RF 200-800@338, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-200Canon R6II, RF 200-800@338, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-200Canon R6II, RF 200-800@388mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-200Canon R6II, RF 200-800@388mm, f/8, 1/400sec, ISO-200

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Trevor,

These are very, very good.

Steve Thomas

Thank you for your generous comment, Steve.  Not my best work by any means, but I have not been able to shoot for a while and it's still a challenge for me, especially with a beefy lens like the 200-800. 
The originals were framed for a much bigger composition, which I shall post here, so the images above involve a lot of cropping that the camera and lens were reasonably tolerant of.
Tet a Tet original 1.jpgTet a Tet original 2.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tre or,

These guys are so perfectly blended, that I didn't even realize that the mane on the zebra on the right in your first picture actually belongs to a third zebra behind the post.

Nature is amazing sometimes.

Steve Thomas

You're not wrong.  It's a constant battle between predator and prey, measure vs countermeasure and survival of the best adapted to the conditions at the time.  On their own, zebras stand out like sore thumbs, but in a group they disorient and confuse their predators (and the odd photographer as well!).
For some camofleurs (camo creators) it was animals like the zebra that inspired the use of dazzle camouflage to confuse U-boats:

during WWII

cheers, TREVOR

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Very nice photos. Many animals on the veldt make up large herds for survival. I enjoy your photos. Keep 'em coming.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Beautiful Trevor.  Simply beautiful.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Trevor, the photo of the two should carry the caption, "Have you heard the latest?"

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements