cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Mountains Range

JPS_
Enthusiast

Crazy Mountains Range or the Crazies as some locals call them are in central Montana.  The Crazies support a healthy herd of mountain goats and the occasional elusive wolverine.  According to Wikipedia, the name Crazy Mountains is said to be a shortened form of the name "Crazy Woman" Mountains given them, in complement to the original Crow name, after a woman who went insane and lived in them after her family was killed in the westward settlement movement. CM1-2.jpgCM2-1.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Good landscape photo; like the one with the yellow line. Gives perspective to the background.

The crazy woman story is related in the book, Crow Killer- The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson by Raymond W. Thorp and Robert Bunker. There is also another book that parallels it: Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher. Both books are credited at the beginning of the movie, Jeremiah Johnson, starring Robert Redford.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

JPS,

I lived in Bozeman for a while.

I liked the Crazies.

Steve Thomas

I don't know how long ago that was, but in the 4 years I've been coming to this area, it's changed quite a bit and it looks like change isn't slowing down.

Announcements