cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageFORMULA R30 on MacOS - cannot connect (scan) after firmware update

akegel
Apprentice

Hi.  Running Macintosh Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7 and have successfully scanned for a year or so.  Received an online notice that a scanner update was available, so I clicked to do the install of new scanner firmware.  Update failed (no useful error message).  Now when I turn the scanner on, the usual CaptureOnTouch Lite launcher appears, I click on the launcher, and I get a pop-up that says

"Scanner is not ready. (Power may have been cycled.)  Try operation again."

I click OK and the popup goes away.  I retry the operation -- same thing.

I have tried power cycling the scanner.  The green light is showing green.  The usual mount points appear when power is restored.  And I am in an endless loop.  

How to recover from a failed scanner update?

To be clear: this does not appear to be a problem with the Mac driver software.  It is the scanner that is not ready.

#imageFORMULA R30

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You said you got an online notice that an update was available.  Does that mean you received an email from Canon?

I do not see any firmware updates for the R30.  I did find a software update for the Capture On Touch Lite application which is related to software.  Do you know what the name of the file was you ran and appeared to fail?

Canon Support for imageFORMULA R30 Office Document Scanner | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

How to test scanner function.  Close Capture On Touch.  Open Image Capture and attempt to scan a document.  If this works, the problem is likely related to software. 

If the scanner still reports as "not ready", this is not something I'd expect to be solvable on your own.  At that point, I would contact Canon Support:

MyCanon

Let us know the result of the Mac's Image Capture test.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You said you got an online notice that an update was available.  Does that mean you received an email from Canon?

I do not see any firmware updates for the R30.  I did find a software update for the Capture On Touch Lite application which is related to software.  Do you know what the name of the file was you ran and appeared to fail?

Canon Support for imageFORMULA R30 Office Document Scanner | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

How to test scanner function.  Close Capture On Touch.  Open Image Capture and attempt to scan a document.  If this works, the problem is likely related to software. 

If the scanner still reports as "not ready", this is not something I'd expect to be solvable on your own.  At that point, I would contact Canon Support:

MyCanon

Let us know the result of the Mac's Image Capture test.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for the quick response.  TL;DR - success after a second update.

>> You said you got an online notice that an update was available. Does that mean you received an email from Canon?

I was doing a scan and the Canon software (not sure which part - either the installer or the scanner app) gave me a popup about new firmware, so I accepted that and started the update process for the scanner. 

Your comment triggers a thought - to check my Downloads folder.  The download file was on 1 April (uh, oh) and named  R30_CaptureOnTouchLiteVer.3.1.23.1120forMac.dmg and is 33.1MB in size.  The "where from" attribute shows

https://soft.canon-elec.co.jp/ims/r30/en/
https://soft.canon-elec.co.jp/ims/getFile.php?m=32&c=3

Being the bold-and-brash type, I shall re-mount and re-try.

...waiting...

Success.  The second-time install worked (though it took a Long Time).  I power-cycled the scanner, and  now life is good. 

Fortunately for me, the folks at Canon built a rugged install process that survived the torture I imposed.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words.  I'm glad you got the issue solved and can put your R30 back to work.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements