cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xa30 video camera telephoto lens?

JohnnieSko
Apprentice

Can a Cannon xa30 video camera support a telephoto lens? I see some advertised, but not sure how well they would work.

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you mean the Canon TL-H58 tele-converter? I've never used either that or a wide converter when I used to use Canon's camcorders, so won't be able to offer first-hand experience.

There are notes about the converters in the User Manual.   Mainly pages 58 (notes), 61 (note about digital zoom), 65 (notes), 148 (settings) and 149 (appendix).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

JohnnieSko
Apprentice

This is good info. I went ahead and bought the converter to see how it works. I will post a response with my findings once I try it out.

JohnnieSko
Apprentice

I ended up buying a 3.5x  Cannon Telephoto lens on Amazon. But, it was an off brand, even though the Amazon posting didn't mention that. I did try it but could not get the same sharp focus using that lens. I returned it. (Note: I did set the camera's converter option to Telphoto). I went ahead and bought a real Cannon lens. It seems they only make a 1.5x telephoto. I will report back after I test it.

Just curious.....what was shown in the photos of Amazon ad? Was it a Canon lens or not? You spelled Canon wrong, and if the ad did too, could have been a counterfeit.

JohnnieSko
Apprentice

The actual posting was:"Canon XA30 3.5X High Definition Super Telephoto Lens"

Visually, it did not have any  nomenclature on the lens in the posting. I did report the discrepancy to Amazon.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In all honesty, this stuff is junk.  I know its glass, but it has very low optical quality.

shadowsports_0-1680570111137.png

I'm glad you returned it and purchased a Canon lens.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

Deceptive ad. Should have stated "aftermarket", or "clone", or "cheap imitation".

Announcements