cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 Questions - Image quality issues when zooming, excessive noise

reynoldss19
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I had a few questions about my Canon XF605. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! Is there anyway to fix any of these...? (I shoot golf content on Youtube) ( I posted questions here before and received great help, so hoping it happens again)

- When I zoom in, there seem to be little black shades that appear when zooming. Also, the overall picture and color darkens on zoom in. 

- Shooting in BT REC 709 Normal, F2.8-F4.5 most times, ISO 200, Shutter usually between 1/250-1/500 (to get a clean movement),our footage looks very nice, but there seems to be a level of noise that can still be removed. 

- I will attach links here to my videos, then to another channel that uses the same camera, and if someone could try and point out a couple changes we could make to get to that kind of shot, that would be amazing!

my channel - https://youtu.be/ThUc1pur8Cc?si=RPsEtTVByqxVmRZH

channel I want it to look like - https://youtu.be/fmusqcZ6RNk?si=ZXHakVncHMBMhIOJ

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When you were capturing the wider angle shots, what was the aperture?  Note that the camcorder's lens is variable aperture.  So if you were at f/2.8 during the wide angle shots, then zoomed in, the aperture would close down and thus affect exposure.

One solution would be to use a fixed aperture that would be f/4.5.   Or, if you find you only zoom to particular levels, f/4.

Other potentials is look at Automatic ISO Speed/Gain that could potentially balance changes to the aperture/iris.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the response! So are you saying to have a fixed aperture so that it is one constant exposure as I zoom in? That sounds like it makes sense! If this does not work, or only helps a little, should I turn on automatic iso speed/gain? Again thank you so much for the response!

It's more of an either-or.  Either use a fixed aperture (pick the narrowest aperture that would be required by the zoom range you need).  Or, allow the variable aperture and set up automatic ISO to compensate.

There may be other solutions as well, but those are the first two that came to mind.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I like both of Ricky's suggestions.  I also noted that you were shooting in less than favorable weather and Good Good had a bright sunny day with blue skies.  Thats not in your control.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements