cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF605 ISO Native Now 500, What Happened to 200?

SarVinci
Contributor

Hi Community,

I wish XF605 Native ISO was as low as 100, but 200 wasn't bad. After the firmware update to the latest one to date, my lowest ISO is 500. What in the world happened? Is this a bug that needs fixing Canon?

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi SarVinci,

The lowest ISO available on the XF605 changes depending on how the camera is currently set. If the lowest ISO shown on your camera is 500 that indicates the ACG switch is flipped on and the color space is set to either Canon Log or Wide DR. With the ACG switch off you can select a wider range of ISO values.

There is information on the ACG lowest ISO values and the ISO ranges available when ACG is off on pages 60-61 of the manual. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the Manuals button and the one to reference is named XF605 Instruction Manual.

Can you describe to me what is the most optimal camera settings for the best possible image quality from the XF605 in daylight / cloudy / sunny environment? What camera settings / image profile / HDR / etc.?

A better question to ask is "what would be the optimal settings for a particular scene/scenario?".  There are too many variables with various scenes.  And perhaps desired workflows will also influence what settings to use.

As an example, if a particular scene has a high dynamic range, capturing log footage will let you capture as much dynamic range as possible.  Especially when setting the ISO to the appropriate base value.   Deviating from that ISO value will ultimately lead to less dynamic range being captured.

Hopefully the XF605 manual outlines where to put middle gray when capturing in log.  I have found this to be the first thing I'll adjusting for a paricular scene.  Then tweak other settings as needed to fine-tune.

Working with log can be tricky and will require post-processing (although in some cases, applying a LUT may be all you need to do).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements