cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA70 any movement is blurry

Kayakmedic
Apprentice

I have a new XA70 and any movemet is blurry. I have ajusted most all settings but on a tripod if my subject moves at all they are blurred, If I am shooting a moving object (even slow moving) I can almost get to object clear but the background is so blurred and glitchy it's totally distracting.  The camera is almost not usable. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? I have changed frame rates immage size, have high speed cards ect. It's almost like the camera is shooting a 6fps. Ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you manually setting the shutter speed or letting the camcorder do it?  If the latter, are you attempting to capture footage in very low light situations?

For natural looking movement, it's best to observe the 180º rule which is 1 divided by twice the frame rate.  Examples:

• Shutter of 1/48s (1/50s) for 24 fps (or 23.976 fps)
  • Shutter of 1/60s for 30 fps (29.97 fps)
  • Shutter of 1/120s for 60 fps (59.94 fps)

Of course for creative reasons, you can choose different shutter speeds.

If you're attempting to shoot in very dark scenes such that your gain (ISO) is already at max, you'll only have a few options:

• Add light to the scene (best option)
  • Ensure the lens is at the widest aperture (typically when at the wide angle focal lengths).  Con here is that you are forced to use different framing of the scene.
  • Use a lower frame rate (e.g. 23.976 vs 30 fps).  Shutter would be lowered slightly to 1/50s from 1/60s (assuming 180º rule).  But this would only be a very small improvement.
  • Use slower shutters (worse option) as footage can then appear very choppy (especially at 12fps or slower).
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have tried both setting speeds manually and using the auto settings and I have tried indoors, but mostly outdoors in sunlight. I'm thinking there may be an issue with the camera

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements