cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEEKING Tutor -> Canon EOS R5 C - issues with files for FCP

DavidSiminoff
Contributor

Hi - Anyone out there whose brain I can rent for a few hours to help me get set up? I have the above Canon with FCP editor suite. I'm making a few dozen corporate videos. I went to film school... 30 years ago so things have um.. changed. I get the aesthetic but the arcane elements of media files talking properly with each other is eluding me. Anyone out there?? thanks! Dave

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If you have an SD card reader (or a reader for whatever card type you’re capturing footage to), that is typically the best solution for ingest of footage/photos.

Not sure what you mean by “Audio DOES work but I see nothing in it”. Did you mean to say “doesn’t work”?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Watch this entire video.  Bryan is an extremely accomplished R5 C user.  This video in particular covers maximizing AF function and potential in the R5 C cinema mode.  A few menu (changes) completely changes how the camera focuses.

This is a public video on youtube - DeafDirector (Bryan)  I found it extremely well done and helpful.

CANON R5C: AF TRACKING GAME CHANGER! - YouTube

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You’ll have to describe what “media files talking properly with each other” means. What specific tasks are you trying to perform?

--
Ricky

Hi Ricky - When I import the video from my Canon, FCP works about half the time. That is... the 'broken' imports how an error "Camera Connect" - audio DOES work but I see nothing in it. I'm trying to shoot about 100 5 minute videos over a 3-4 week period which lecture on the mass market topics like tax optimization for global tech companies and complex board dynamics during acquisitions.  A bunch of things just aren't working easily for me yet - was hoping someone who knew the 'hood here could walk me through things a bit...  

If you have an SD card reader (or a reader for whatever card type you’re capturing footage to), that is typically the best solution for ingest of footage/photos.

Not sure what you mean by “Audio DOES work but I see nothing in it”. Did you mean to say “doesn’t work”?

--
Ricky

Correct - I think what I've found is that when I don't properly Eject-sequence the SD Card, somehow it munges whatever media I've imported - this was true on both FCP and on Adobe; after switching to Adobe, a lot of the Canon-specific problems on FCP went away. 

My biggest problem now is that I can't get auto focus to work on the VIDEO part of my camera - on photos it works fine. Any guesses as to what's the problem?? thanks! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Watch this entire video.  Bryan is an extremely accomplished R5 C user.  This video in particular covers maximizing AF function and potential in the R5 C cinema mode.  A few menu (changes) completely changes how the camera focuses.

This is a public video on youtube - DeafDirector (Bryan)  I found it extremely well done and helpful.

CANON R5C: AF TRACKING GAME CHANGER! - YouTube

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Awesome - and thanks - that fixed it - issue was that my system was NOT set to perpetual AF and I had also had somehow turned off a few dials that messed with focus; so I just went back to factory settings and things are good now - I appreciate the help - wow this is a great community! 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think it was RS-EOS (Ricky) who resolved your issue.  I was just referencing a AF tip that changes how you use the camera in cinema mode.  This video points out exactly how someone like me (a primary stills shooter) picked up his cinema camera and couldn't get it to track once it "locked on" to a face.  @RS-EOS on the other hand has many more "cinema" flight hours logged on his C70.  Both he and @AtticusLake (R5 C user) are some of the videophile "heavy hitters" here.  @RS-EOS also knows FCP.    

We're (both) glad this helped.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements