cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C not powering over USB PD

Fuzzyw89
Apprentice

After updating to firmware 1.0.3, camera no longer draws power over USB. When connected, via the same source I was using before, camera would draw  about 5 watts of power. Now it draws none. However, the camera shows it’s in USB PD mode, but battery still drains as if not plugged in. I checked and made sure the USB option was not on video out mode. Any suggestions?? I’m worried that the USB port might have failed somehow or the firmware update isn’t allowing it charge and power over USB PD. 

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you have an R5 C, there is no firmware version. 1.0.3. (maybe a typo).  

There is 1.0.3.1 and as of the June 15th v1.0.4.1.

I ran v1.0.3.1 from March until two days ago.  Now running v1.0.4.1.  I use a USB-C PD all the time.  

Tell us more about the PD you are using.  Brand, model and the cable you are using.  Cables do matter.  Not just for data, but for correct power delivery.  You must have a battery installed <<

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Right, it’s 1.0.3.1 …. I left off the .1 at the end since that number hasn’t changed on any of the firmware released.

I have had the camera since Feb and have been running it with 1.0.2.1,  since I have had the camera and I have had 0 issues with USB PD, whether it’s the standard Canon PD or after market ones by Anker, as well as battery packs by Anker and Rav Power. 

I upgraded on Wednesday night and on Thursday, immediately noticed while using the same power sources it was registering USB PD on the screen but battery was draining. I plugged the Canon charger into the wall into a power meter and noticed it was not drawing any power. I also noticed the same thing on the Anker Battery Bank which has a wattage draw meter.  I tried several of the other chargers 3rd party a plethora of different cables to see if any of them made a difference and it didn’t. The USB port does appear to work cause when I connect to the computer I can still use the EOS app.

After posting this, I did upgrade to 1.0.4.1 … it didn’t seem to make a difference. 

I called Canon support, and they seem to thing the PD part of the USB port may have failed. Just very coincidental it coincided with the firmware update. So I just want to make sure I’m not missing something setting wise that updated on the firmware, outside of the the USB out selection. Because it seems like that data said did the port works, even knowing when a USB PD source is plugged in. But whatever it is, it’s keeping the camera from actually drawing power.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thanks for clarifying.  Flashing to 1.0.3.1 resets the camera's settings.  I reset my camera myself before flashing to 1.0.4.1 since it was such a major update.  I don't usually do this, but got hit going from 1.0.2.1 > 1.0.3.1 so decided to start from a clean slate.  I was going to "touch" every menu item anyway.  I'd perform a settings reset for good measure.

My USB-C PD consists of a MacBook Pro Charger when I'm in the house, and a $32 dollar SaFUEL 45w PD for travel.  I purchased it for the simple fact that it met the 3.0A and wattage requirements, and that its price was more attractive than the Ankers $175.  Its a little smaller too and fits in a shirt pocket.  

If you have a grip attached, try removing that while you test.  One other thing to look at.  On the Network menu, tab 2.  Battery Charging settings.  > [Camera First].  Long shot, but throwing it out there.  Sounds like you have run the gambit.

Since you have already tried multiple power sources and cables, I'd try the reset, removing any accessories, cards, lens, etc and try testing with 1-2 different batteries.  If these suggestions don't help, I'd agree with the techs assessment.  You'll probably be looking at a new PCB / mainboard.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Moadh1985
Apprentice

I'm facing a similar issue as well - I've updated to firmware 1.0.5.1, and I'd been using a power bank in video mode ever since i got the camera.

Suddenly, post-update, the PD sign doesn't come on in video/photo mode when the power bank's connected (yes its a 20W power bank + i'm using the right cables... the same ones i've been using all along).

Oddly enough, if i switch off the camera, the power bank starts charging my camera battery. 

To add an extra layer of complexity, I connected the camera directly to a wall-socket charger (65W) and turned on video, and the PD sign came on. So there seems to be a common issue with recognizing power banks; post-firmware update.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

So unfortunately, I have no good news to help you out. I ended up having to send the camera off to Canon for support and they found there was an issue with the main board and the charging so they had to replace it. It’s back working fine now. Have not updated to the 1.0.5.1 yet so can’t really comment on that, I’ll try it today though.  What Canon did not comment on or clarify is how the issue happened. So I still don’t know if it was a result of the firmware update or just a very odd coincidence that the board faulted at the same time as the update. Considering though the hardware I was using was all the same hardware I had been using for several months, my gut would say it was the former. So it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Fuzzyw89,

Glad your issue was resolved, sorry the mainboard had to be replaced.

@Moadh1985,

Your issue while similar should really have its own thread.  The specs for a PD should be (minimum) 45w 3.0A and 9v.  The camera only takes what it needs.  A 20w PD sounds a little marginal.  It won't give you much runtime.  In my experience what matters are the amps.  I've tried using some 2.0 amp PD's and they didn't work.  

I'm running v1.0.5.1 since its release 6/30.  When I update FW, I use a freshly charged battery or one that has at least 75% charge.  I also connect my PD which isn't necessary but provides an additional layer of safety.

Our cameras do not charge when they are turned on.  A PD can only charge the battery when the camera is off.  This is also true when a battery grip is used.  Batteries must be LP-E6NH for in camera/grip charging.  Older LP-E6N batteries can power the camera, but cannot be charged on board.  I would only use one in a pinch.  

I did confirm charging with the camera off and PD connected.  I also confirmed "USB-PD" when operating  in video mode (1.0.5.1)

I would suggest resetting the camera's main and custom settings in both photo and video modes, then retesting. You can back up your settings to a card if you use any special button mappings, etc.

If this doesn't solve the problem and you have tested with at least 2 OEM batteries, I'd contact support and get your camera to them for inspection.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, thanks for taking the time to get back to me and sharing your ideas - i'll definitely look for a powerbank with better output.

Have a lovely day and thanks again.

nilssamp
Contributor

hey guys im soooo glad I found this thread, I was loosing my nerves. I bought 2 R5C's, one last year and another one 2 weeks ago.

I know for certain, that USB PD did work as it should with my old cam before the update to 1.0.4.1 because I had one shoot a couple months ago and used it the whole day. But now I updated both cams to 1.0.4.1. and then also 1.0.5.1 and now USB PD shows on both cams but still the internal battery drains after around 1 hour 15 min even when usb pd is enabled via vmount or charger. i tried 2 different r5cs as said, one has a 24-70 rf, the other a 70-200 rf 2.8, 3 different cables one of them being the supplied original canon cable, 2 different usb chargers, 2 different fxlion nano two vmounts, i tried long gop, all i xavc and mp4 uhd, i tried sony sdcard uhs ii 300mb, angelbird cfexpress mk2, the internal battery was an original canon lp6nh fully charged, i tried 3 different original lp6nh's. The cams mostly shut down the monitor and then freeze with a red recording light still being on and the top screen being on. or sometimes everything goes off. sometimes i also loose the footage as well. weird thing is though, that if i plug the usb c cable in and the camera is off, the fxlion shows its drawing 5v and also the camera shows its charging but it will never reach the full status. also when the camera is on and showing usb pd and usb c is connected the fxlion shows 9v but still the internal battery will drain...

it must be the case that the new firmware did cause usb pd to not work anymore.

im in contact with canon here in germany and i hope theyll figure it out here soon.

regards

I've had the same issue regarding powering by PD - it draws nearly nothing from PD and just runs down the internal battery. Mine is only a few months old and I've hardly used it. Have you had any resolution to this issue?

Announcements