cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5C Recording Mode Issue with USB PD

mattaddington
Contributor

Am I missing a something in that once connected to USBPD and an external power source, I cannot change recording modes on the R5C? They are all grayed out and I can’t change. When I go back to the normal LPE6 internal battery, the recording mode show up again. Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I actually just found the fix on my end. In the settings (Tool Menu, Page 8), I had my USB mode to "Video Output", that was what was greying out all recording settings. 

I had to change it back to either Canon Apps, or PTP Connections

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@mattaddington wrote:

Am I missing a something in that once connected to USBPD and an external power source, I cannot change recording modes on the R5C? They are all grayed out and I can’t change. When I go back to the normal LPE6 internal battery, the recording mode show up again. Thanks for any help.

Greetings,

Why are you connecting to USB-C PD and an external power source?

Also, are you referring to the quick menus accessible when using Live View?  

shadowsports_0-1680157016578.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry, I meant to say USB PD as an external power source. And yes, both quick menus on live view and normal cinema operating system menu will not let me change.

Speaking from my own personal experience (not as a tech support expert), not all USB C cables and USB C PD chargers are equal. Could the camera be seeing the cable as a data cable and not a charging cable? Does your USB C PD charger output enough power? 

Yes, it is getting sufficient power and shows up on the display as USB PD. Photo mode menus work fine.

Literally just turned it on again to investigate and the menus show up this time!?! What in the world?? I'm going to keep an eye on our discussion thread though to see if anyone else has experienced this. Hopefully it's all good moving forward! Thanks!!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

Thank you for the update.  I was just getting ready to fire up my camera to see if I could reproduce this.  I'm going to update to 1.0.3.1 now instead.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Babanla
Apprentice

I'm literally having this problem right now. I have no idea how to fix this, I've tried different cables and batteries. 

I can't access any of the other shoot modes.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With the camera powered on (Cinema OS) in standby, you can absolutely change the recording mode.  The camera does shut down and come back on when the mode is changed, but it only takes a few sec.

What type of media do you have installed?  in Slot A, Slot B  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I actually just found the fix on my end. In the settings (Tool Menu, Page 8), I had my USB mode to "Video Output", that was what was greying out all recording settings. 

I had to change it back to either Canon Apps, or PTP Connections

Announcements