cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 C remote recording via HDMI stopped working after firmware update

kodiakcreativit
Contributor

Hoping someone can help me out here...

R5 C, plus a sound recorder with HDMI passthrough which is able to lock to timecode using that HDMI. specifically, TASCAM DR-701D.

When connected by HDMI and both powered on the recorder locks timecode to the R5 C, this is still working. Timecodes match. However before the firmware update the recorder would start and stop recording automatically when I start and stop recording on the R5 C. since the update, this no longer works. That was such a nice feature to have, does anyone know what could be wrong?

I know I had to make some settings changes on the R5 C for it to output timecode over HDMI and for all of this to work, the firmware update wiped all of those settings so I had to reset them. as I mentioned even after the firmware update the tascam recognizes HDMI timecode and it synchronizes perfectly. the only thing that is not working is the auto record/auto stop. Did the firmware update break something or did I somehow miss some critical setting to allow this to work?

side note...but this is such a frustrating thing since I went through exactly the same problem with my Blackmagic cinema camera. it would trigger the TASCAM recorder to start and stop recording in sync when connected with HDMI then suddenly after a firmware update of the camera this really nice feature just stopped working. BMD support was never able to figure out why it stopped working and it still does not work on that camera. I was so pleased when I added the R5 C and had that feature back. One previous firmware update...no problems. then the most recent one a few weeks ago and the record synchronization is gone from the R5 C also.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kodiakcreativit
Contributor

Found it on my own! I just saw the latest 1.0.5.1 firmware released and decided to update it once again. I was running 1.0.3.1, I could have sworn my last update was 1.0.4.1...but it doesn't matter.

I'm on 1.0.5.1 now and I reviewed the settings again. I must have looked at them 100 times. either I somehow just missed this, or its new. entirely possible I somehow did not find it...

video mode, menu -> Recording/Media setup -> page 4 -> "Rec Command (EXT REC)" set this to on. that was the one that was missing, it was off.

on that same page also set the setting "HDMI Time Code" to on. I had the second one set on, so the recorder was getting time code, but the external recording setting was off. I don't know how I could have looked at this menu and not realized that was there as a separate setting...but there it is. turn both on and I'm back to my happy place. hit record on the camera, external recorder begins recording automatically, hit the red button again, both devices stop recording.

I really like how compact this camera is with no accessories added to it as well. or even a compromise setup with a battery grip for extended record time and an external mic for better audio. I use the camera anywhere from camera plus lens only, to the above setup, to a full cage and rig. all depends on what I'm shooting. Then I can pull all of that off, flip the switch into photo mode and have a world class still image camera that quickly. This is one amazing piece of equipment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Being a single camera shooter and not using TC, I'd have to rely on what I could read, as I also don't use a tascam or external display.  Love the compactness of this camera. 

Hopefully another user here can chime in.  You can also reach out to support who might be best to help with the question and may know if this functionality or behavior was affected or changed between 1.0.3.1, 1.0.4.1 or 1.0.5.1

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kodiakcreativit
Contributor

Found it on my own! I just saw the latest 1.0.5.1 firmware released and decided to update it once again. I was running 1.0.3.1, I could have sworn my last update was 1.0.4.1...but it doesn't matter.

I'm on 1.0.5.1 now and I reviewed the settings again. I must have looked at them 100 times. either I somehow just missed this, or its new. entirely possible I somehow did not find it...

video mode, menu -> Recording/Media setup -> page 4 -> "Rec Command (EXT REC)" set this to on. that was the one that was missing, it was off.

on that same page also set the setting "HDMI Time Code" to on. I had the second one set on, so the recorder was getting time code, but the external recording setting was off. I don't know how I could have looked at this menu and not realized that was there as a separate setting...but there it is. turn both on and I'm back to my happy place. hit record on the camera, external recorder begins recording automatically, hit the red button again, both devices stop recording.

I really like how compact this camera is with no accessories added to it as well. or even a compromise setup with a battery grip for extended record time and an external mic for better audio. I use the camera anywhere from camera plus lens only, to the above setup, to a full cage and rig. all depends on what I'm shooting. Then I can pull all of that off, flip the switch into photo mode and have a world class still image camera that quickly. This is one amazing piece of equipment.

Hello, i wish i could set HDMI Time Code and Rec Command(EXT REC) to ON but both are grey, i can’t click on it. And idea ? Thanks 

Announcements