cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Video AF Problem

Piper
Apprentice

Is it just me or the AF in the video mode with the R5 C is much worse than anything else before?! Don't get me wrong... I love the "face only" option but that might be it... The worst part is that the AF in the photo mode is great! 

Would't be possible to just enable at least some videorecording also in the photo mode to utilize the photo AF for some product video shoot? It is almost impossible to use AF for objects because it can't track objects (even 5D mkIV could do it!!!)

Or is there any option that I missed? 

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

"Anything else before".  Fairly broad statement.  What are you comparing it to?  There are a countless number of youtube vidoes of people putting the R5 C's AF tracking through it's paces.  It does very well. Are you shooting with RF glass, and what are you shooting primarily that isn't working as you feel it should?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

pedz
Enthusiast

I'm new to the EOS R5 C and, today it did not focus where I was wanting it to focus but as @shadowsports says, there are many YouTube videos praising it so I assume today's adventure is telling me to read the book more, practice more, make sure I have it set right, etc.  I was using the RF 100-500 with the 2X extender and it focused on the branch behind the bird.  But, I'm not blaming the camera (yet).

What is confusing to me is all the options and features present in Photo mode causes me to assume things work the same in Video mode and that just isn't the case.  But a lot of my problems stem from that mistake.

Good luck!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

That's a very good observation and analysis.  I'm inexperienced on the R5 C as well.  Even with decades under my belt, the technology of mirrorless and Canon's cine is (very different) but also outstanding.  Its been like going from a carburetor to fuel injection.  The settings between photo and cine are very different as is the performance.  I feel time and experimentation will help. I've found the youtube videos by various authors to be quite helpful.  Since only one FW update has been released, I also believe Canon will continue to tweak, improve/enhance functionality.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Stevenpacheco
Contributor

I don't mind the tracking in video mode. The issue I do have however is there not being any sort of tracking in 120 FPS / HFR mode! I created a separate post for this.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“I was using the RF 100-500 with the 2X extender and it focused on the branch behind the bird.”  

It is a safe bet that everyone using the R5 C is new to the camera.  It is also a safe bet that using the 2x teleconverter in photo mode causes AF performance to take a hit.  

For example, the RF 600mm f/11 and RF 800mm f/11 both cause a reduction in the number of available AF points on bodies like the R5.  I would expect the same drop in AF performance with the R5 C.

Of course, if the AF performance takes a hit using the 2x in photo mode, it is a safe bet that AF performance will also take a hit in video mode.  What is the AF performance like without the 2x teleconverter in video mode?  

Missing focus on a bird sitting on a branch is not a high crime or misdemeanor. The camera will only focus where you aim it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wow… talk about taking things out of context and radically misinterpreting them…. Do you work for CNN?

I agree with what you're saying. The Canon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1, is about f6.8 at 300mm, and the extenders (either the 1.4X or 2x) won't physically fit on this zoom until about 300mm (so the zoom range becomes limited to 300-500). With the 2x, the 100-500 zoom is effectively an ~ f14, so it's no wonder there are problems focusing. Besides, continual focus as required in video will never be as good as single shot focus as used for stills.

If one read reviews of the R5c, most videographers are using f1.2 to f2 primes or f2.8 to f4 zooms. I'm using my R5c without any focusing problems for stills or video. My lens selection is modest and include the RF 24-105/4, RF 35/1.8, RF 100-400, and an old EF 400/4 DO II.

I'd only used the RF 100-500 without a converter. If you need a fast focusing 800mm lens for video, you'll need to rent a 400/2.8 to use with your 2x, or rent the 600 or 800mm monsters.

Announcements