cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C - Enabling Browser Remote / Network Help

aburno
Apprentice

Hello all.
New to the forum. I am excited to own the R5C but discovering a few frustrating quirks along the way, such as the WFT-r10b wireless transmitter requirement to allow the use of browser remote in video mode. Have any fellow R5C owners discovered a viable workaround or is the $999 accessory the cost of admission?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Visit the support portal, use the +feedback button and let Canon know about this.  

These were mine:

Cine Mode
Allow wi-fi connectivity in cine mode on the R5C using the existing onboard chipset.  (I am more interested in Camera Control than video transfer).  

Ability to disable (defeat) Channels 3+4 or the internal mic all together when a external microphone or Tascam Audio Adapter accessory is connected via the 3.5mm input or hot shoe.  Currently these have to be deleted in post.

(Firmware optimization) Optimize battery performance of LP-EN6H in cine mode. If the battery shows depleted in Cine mode, it should be identical or roughly the same if you switch to photo mode. As of now, (firmware 1.0.1.1) you still have 2 full bars remaining.

Feature Request
If possible, enable Dual Pixel AF in Cine Mode (this is currently available in photo mode)

Add the ability to take a full resolution still photo in Cine mode when using a video mode less than 8k.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Visit the support portal, use the +feedback button and let Canon know about this.  

These were mine:

Cine Mode
Allow wi-fi connectivity in cine mode on the R5C using the existing onboard chipset.  (I am more interested in Camera Control than video transfer).  

Ability to disable (defeat) Channels 3+4 or the internal mic all together when a external microphone or Tascam Audio Adapter accessory is connected via the 3.5mm input or hot shoe.  Currently these have to be deleted in post.

(Firmware optimization) Optimize battery performance of LP-EN6H in cine mode. If the battery shows depleted in Cine mode, it should be identical or roughly the same if you switch to photo mode. As of now, (firmware 1.0.1.1) you still have 2 full bars remaining.

Feature Request
If possible, enable Dual Pixel AF in Cine Mode (this is currently available in photo mode)

Add the ability to take a full resolution still photo in Cine mode when using a video mode less than 8k.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the insights. I will leave feedback and hopefully amplify the awareness around this issue

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Scroll down this forum page a little and you'll see my post "R5C Video Remote Control" on the same subject.  AFAIK, that's the way it is for now.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Canon fix this with a firmware update.

@AtticusLake

Hoping as well. 👍 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the quick response. I’m pretty disappointed, but hopeful that Canon will patch this in the future, as well.

HarborPictures
Contributor

Just wanted to add my voice to the conversation. Long time Canon owner, R5 C since November '22. First off - very happy with the camera and purchase. But as a hybrid camera, it would really benefit from some consistency in features between still and cine modes.

I get it - as user of the various C300 models, the connectivity in them has always been through the browser remote. I'd guess thats legacy code that dates to the early cine cameras. But this is '23, and with the R5 C marketed as a hybrid (both stills and video camera) the cine side needs to catch up on connectivity and use the Canon app.

Coming from the 5D series, and the EOS R, both make good use of peer to peer connectivity with the app in both stills and video. I won't trade the IQ of the R5 C for either anymore - but I sure miss the ability to trigger and set up the camera through the app.

I filled out my wishes on the support portal back in January. Got a thanks for it, but would like to see some movement on the developers part to show us some love with a firmware and software update. 

Hopefully with some movement on the connectivity front we can see better integration with the tools we use - gimbals, monitors, etc. that currently leave the support for the R5 C unchecked. It sucks to see solid connectivity with the Red, Sony, and Panasonic cameras with DJI, SmallHD, Atomos, and Portakeys products.

We'd really benefit from better connectivity. I plan on using this camera for some time. It would be great to see movement on this sooner rather than later. Let's keep the conversation alive and keep asking for this.

Thanks!

Bill

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I was recently contacted on this topic.  I'd like to point out that Canon has (did) address some of the Feature Requests I and others has submitted from the list above in the June 30th firmware update this summer v1.0.4.1/Ultimately 1.0.5.1. 

#TeamCanon 👍 we did get some great features.  

Also keep in mind the R5 mkII announcement should be coming soon 😃  Hoping we'll see it Q1 2024 and the R1 to follow (hopefully) for the Paris Olympics in July. 🎉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick - what features? I don’t think any addressed connectivity in video mode. The Canon app still only works on the photo side. Works great there, but unless I’m totally missing the boat - there is no connectivity on the cinema OS (video) side except through the browser and WiFi grip.

Please tell me I’m wrong. I’d love to be! 😊

BTW - just spent a full weekend covering a regatta here in the Midwest. I used the Canon app extensively to grab photos off the R5C and video clips off the R and live posted throughout both days. Never a hiccup. So thumbs up on app stability. A far cry from early iterations. Hot switching between both cams worked flawlessly. 🏆

Bill

Announcements